Subject: Re: [virtio-comment] Re: About custom device counter

On Fri, 16 Jun 2023 10:13:23 -0400, "Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 15, 2023 at 02:23:31PM +0800, Xuan Zhuo wrote:

> > > Sorry have trouble parsing this.
> > >
> > > Can we get examples of counters from various vendors, so that
> > > it's clear what kind of thing this, and it becomes convincing
> > > that abstracting this in virtio spec is pointless?
> >
> > Such as "limit", in a cloud scenario, multiple users purchase different VMs, and
> > these VMs share the capabilities of the same host. In order to ensure that each
> > VM will not affect others, the network card(virtio-net) capability of each VM is
> > limited. When these users purchase VMs, this limit has already been determined.
> > So if the network card traffic of a vm exceeds the upper limit, packet loss will
> > occur. It is necessary for us to count these packet losses. And the device
> > should expose to the user.
>
> OK so here, driver is expected to rate limit yes?

The counter is for the user, not for the driver. Let the user know that some
packets are dropped by rate limit. If they need more traffic, then users may
need to buy a larger network card.

The driver does not know about this.

> > Such as "session", our dpu supports tcp connection tracking, but there is an
> > upper limit to the number of connections, and if it exceeds, packet loss will
> > also occur.
>
> What can be done here? Just don't run so many apps?

This function will be used in some special scenarios, I am not particularly
sure. But we do have such a need.

I just gave two examples. In fact, there are many other scenarios. In the cloud
scenario, we still have many strange features for customers. We want to embrace
the virtio, so we're not trying to do something that isn't compliant, but we do
currently have the problem that in our backend, we have a lot of functionality
that can't be exposed to the driver or the guest os by the standard virtio
channels. This actually affects the use of the virtio standard in cloud vendors.
For example, some cloud manufacturers are turning to use custom equipment.

We believe that virtio/virtio-net should also accelerate its evolution and
become more modern, so as to meet the needs of the market.

Thanks.