Subject: Re: [virtio-comment] About the plan of Admin Queue

On Fri, Jun 30, 2023 at 1:59âPM Xuan Zhuo <xuanzhuo@linux.alibaba.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Jun 2023 16:11:12 +0800, "Zhu, Lingshan" <lingshan.zhu@intel.com> wrote:
> >

> > On 6/20/2023 2:44 PM, Xuan Zhuo wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > hi, I would want to know some plans and progress about admin queue.
> > >
> > > At the current spec, it seems that there is only one framework and no
> > > specific commands. I'd like to know if anyone is currently working on this and
> > > what the plans are.
> > >
> > > We also faced some similar issues, and we think admin queue is a good way to
> > > manage sr-iov.
> > >

> > > Thanks.
> > I plan to rebase original transport vq on admin vq.
> >
> > https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/virtio-comment/202208/msg00140.html
>

> I review the patch, that is for S-IOV, right?

It is not limited to SIOV. So you won't see any SIOV terminology in
the proposal.

> I think it is good.
>
> I would if all is configured by the transport vq/admin vq from the OS?

One thing to clarify is that, we will define a set of admin commands,
and admin virtqueue is one interface for that. The admin commands is
designed to be more general to be carried via other type of interfaces
(if not, let's fix):

1) MMIO
2) Other transport that already use DMA
3) software IPC