Subject: Re: [virtio-comment] About the plan of Admin Queue

On Thu, Jul 27, 2023 at 4:20âPM Xuan Zhuo <xuanzhuo@linux.alibaba.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jul 2023 16:03:56 +0800, Jason Wang <jasowang@redhat.com> wrote:

This should be a general one as a switch should be transport independent.

> I would like to know who is doing this?

Washizu, could you confirm if you want to do this or not?

> Another question, @Jason are you referring to a new device type or a
> new virtio-net feature.

Extending virtio-net should be fine, did you see any issues for this?

> > > For SIOV, I think this is MUST.
> >
> > A learning bridge would be fine as a starter. It's better not to
> > couple new scalable capability with any device specific features.
> >
> > > Maybe you have one simple implementation.
> > > But you have to solve the IP steering. So admin queue should has the ability
> > > to config the IP steering.
> >
> > I think not. Those L2/LN tables/filters are networking specific.
>
> Let us assume that there is a switch/bridge firstly.
> The VFs may be passed to different VMs.
>
> I also think this is the networking specific. But I want to config
> the ip for every vf from the pf.

What do you mean by ip here (e.g who is the user for this ip?)

> Because the user of the vf may be unreliable.
> We need a manager to config the ip for every vf.

Did you mean you're using a tunnel or not?

> > Control virtqueue is better than admin virtqueue here.
>
> by cq?
>
> What case?

We've already used control virtqueue for steering.

Thanks