Subject: Re: [virtio-comment] [virtio-queue] CLARIFICATION: "free descriptors" External

Thanks for the concise response. It seems clear to us at BedRock Systems
that our VIRTIO Queue operational model will need to support aliasing of
both descriptor entries and payload memory.

For now we are focusing on making such updates to our operational model.
We will follow up with any other clarification questions which arise.

Your responsiveness has been much appreciated.

~Jasper

On Mon, Oct 23, 2023 at 7:21âAM Michael S. Tsirkin <mst@redhat.com> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 20, 2023 at 01:35:00PM -0400, Jasper Haag wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Thank you kindly for the thoughtful responses! From the point of view
> of formal modelling/verification I think there is a lot of benefit to be had
> from tightening the language in the VIRTIO specification. I also think
> that the formal methods work we do at BedRock Systems puts us in a
> position to contribute on this front - although I need to coordinate with
> my managers regarding the logistics of such contributions, including sponsoring
> membership(s) to the "OASIS Virtual I/O Device (VIRTIO) Technical Committee"
> <https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/membership.php?wg_abbrev=virtio>.
>
> > Maybe we should add some text like "free entries in the
> > descriptor table, henceforth referred to as 'free descriptors'".
> This clarified text seems like an improvement, but it still leaves some
> open questions in my mind - which Michael's response helps to tease
> out.
>
> > Yes I think descriptors means free entries in the descriptor table.
> > I don't think the MUST there is right - in theory
> > I think the same descriptor chain can be used by multiple
> > buffers, though I am not aware of any drivers that do this.
> Overall, we're interested in understanding the ownership discipline
> involved with the descriptor-entry/payload "resources" (in the sense of
> linear logic). Our operational model will need to codify this discipline in
> order to track/cede ownership of these "resources" at the appropriate
> times, and aliasing will complicate the story here. To wit:
> 1) If a Device owns two buffers which alias each other's descriptors, and
> Â Âsends one of the buffers back to the Driver, does the Device still own
> Â Âthe other buffer it hasn't yet returned, including the buffer's descriptors?
> 2) If a Device owns two buffers which alias payload memory, and sends one
> Â Âof the buffers back to the Driver, does the Device still own the payload
> Â Âmemory referred to by the buffer it hasn't yet returned?

I would say yes.

> Along these lines, a few clarifications:
> i) Â Are Drivers allowed to alias descriptor chain suffixes, or only complete
> Â Â Âdescriptor chains?
> ii) ÂMay a Driver /simultaneously expose/ multiple buffers which share
> descriptor
> Â Â Âchain (suffixes)?
> iii) May a Driver /simultaneously expose/ multiple buffers which (partially)
> alias
> Â Â Âthe same payload memory?

Nothing seems to disallow this. iii actually happens sometimes.

> [...]
>Â Â Â> > https://docs.oasis-open.org/virtio/virtio/v1.2/csd01/
>Â Â Âvirtio-v1.2-csd01.html#x1-50003>
>Â Â Â> > use the same descriptor within multiple chains?
>Â Â Â> >
>Â Â Â> > I look forward to hearing your clarification.
>Â Â Â>
>Â Â Â> My guess is that this is mostly a case of a bit of sloppyness in a very
>Â Â Â> old part of the spec. A better term might be "free entries in the
>Â Â Â> descriptor table" (or even "unused entries..."), although that would be
>Â Â Â> a bit unwieldy. Maybe we should add some text like "free entries in the
>Â Â Â> descriptor table, henceforth referred to as 'free descriptors'".
>Â Â Â>
>Â Â Â> Michael, what do you think?
>
>Â Â ÂYes I think descriptors means free entries in the descriptor table.
>Â Â ÂI don't think the MUST there is right - in theory
>Â Â ÂI think the same descriptor chain can be used by multiple
>Â Â Âbuffers, though I am not aware of any drivers that do this.
>Â Â ÂSo I feel "free" here merely means "not used for some other
>Â Â Âpurpose". E.g. entries not referenced by any chains can be used
>Â Â Âby driver to keep some data for its internal purposes
>Â Â Â(and sometimes is) - if an entry is used like this and the driver
>Â Â Âneeds the data there then I guess it should not be used for
>Â Â Âdescriptors.
>
>Â Â ÂWe do say:
>Â Â ÂÂ Â Â Â A driver MUST NOT alter virtqueue entries for exposed buffers,
>Â Â ÂÂ Â Â Â i.e., buffers which have been
>Â Â ÂÂ Â Â Â made available to the device (and not been used by the device)
>Â Â ÂÂ Â Â Â of a live virtqueue.
>Â Â ÂSo such chains must not be modified while available to device.
>

>Â Â ÂI also think we still need a lot of cleanup in the buffer/descriptor/entry
>Â Â Âarea. And I feel we should just bite the bullet and talk about entries
>Â Â Âhere though - descriptors are widely used to mean valid/available
>Â Â Âentries.
>

>Â Â Â--
>Â Â ÂMST
>

>Â Â ÂThis publicly archived list offers a means to provide input to the
>Â Â ÂOASIS Virtual I/O Device (VIRTIO) TC.
>
>Â Â ÂIn order to verify user consent to the Feedback License terms and
>Â Â Âto minimize spam in the list archive, subscription is required
>Â Â Âbefore posting.
>
>Â Â ÂSubscribe: virtio-comment-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org
>Â Â ÂFeedback License: https://www.oasis-open.org/who/ipr/feedback_license.pdf
>Â Â ÂList Guidelines: https://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/
>Â Â Âmailing-lists
>Â Â ÂCommittee: https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/virtio/
>Â Â ÂJoin OASIS: https://www.oasis-open.org/join/

This publicly archived list offers a means to provide input to the
OASIS Virtual I/O Device (VIRTIO) TC.

In order to verify user consent to the Feedback License terms and
to minimize spam in the list archive, subscription is required
before posting.