Subject: Re: [virtio-dev] RE: [RFC] virtio-iommu version 0.4

On 21/09/17 07:27, Tian, Kevin wrote:
> [...]

I'll see if I can come up with something simple for v0.5, but it seems
like a big chunk of work. I don't really know what to report to the guest
at the moment. I don't want to report vendor-specific details about the
fault, but it should still be useful content, to let the guest decide
whether they need to reset/kill the device or just print something

[...]
>> Yes I think adding MEM_T_IDENTITY will be necessary. I can see they are
>> used for both iGPU and USB controllers on my x86 machines. Do you know
>> more precisely what they are used for by the firmware?
>
> VTd spec has a clear description:
>
> 3.14 Handling Requests to Reserved System Memory
> Reserved system memory regions are typically allocated by BIOS at boot
> time and reported to OS as reserved address ranges in the system memory
> map. Requests-without-PASID to these reserved regions may either occur
> as a result of operations performed by the system software driver (for
> example in the case of DMA from unified memory access (UMA) graphics
> controllers to graphics reserved memory), or may be initiated by non
> system software (for example in case of DMA performed by a USB
> controller under BIOS SMM control for legacy keyboard emulation).
> For proper functioning of these legacy reserved memory usages, when
> system software enables DMA remapping, the second-level translation
> structures for the respective devices are expected to be set up to provide
> identity mapping for the specified reserved memory regions with read
> and write permissions.
>
> (one specific example for GPU happens in legacy VGA usage in early
> boot time before actual graphics driver is loaded)

Thanks for the explanation. So it is only legacy, and enabling nested mode
would be forbidden for a device with Reserved System Memory regions? I'm
wondering if virtio-iommu RESV regions will be extended to affect a
specific PASIDs (or all requests-with-PASID) in the future.
>> It's not necessary with the base virtio-iommu device though (v0.4),
>> because the device can create the identity mappings itself and report them
>> to the guest as MEM_T_BYPASS. However, when we start handing page
>
> when you say "the device can create ...", I think you really meant
> "host iommu driver can create identity mapping for assigned device",
> correct?
>
> Then yes, I think above works.

Yes it can be the host IOMMU driver, or simply Qemu sending VFIO ioctls to
create those identity mappings (they are reported in sysfs reserved_regions).

>> table
>> control over to the guest, the host won't be in control of IOVA->GPA
>> mappings and will need to gracefully ask the guest to do it.
>>
>> I'm not aware of any firmware description resembling Intel RMRR or AMD
>> IVMD on ARM platforms. I do think ARM platforms could need
>> MEM_T_IDENTITY
>> for requesting the guest to map MSI windows when page-table handover is
>> in
>> use (MSI addresses are translated by the physical SMMU, so a IOVA->GPA
>> mapping must be installed by the guest). But since a vSMMU would need a
>> solution as well, I think I'll try to implement something more generic.
>
> curious do you need identity mapping full IOVA->GPA->HPA translation,
> or just in GPA->HPA stage sufficient for above MSI scenario?

It has to be IOVA->GPA->HPA. So it'll be a bit complicated to implement
for us, I think we're going to need a VFIO ioctl to tell the host what
IOVA the guest allocated for its MSI, but it's not ideal.

Thanks,
Jean