Subject: [FYI] virtio-media published

Hello everyone,

This is just a heads-up to announce the initial publication of virtio-media:

https://github.com/Gnurou/virtio-media

The name has changed slightly, but this project is essentially the
refinement and continuation of my virtio-v4l2 proposal. The reason for
moving forward with this is, to be candid, the unclear direction and
lack of progress regarding the future of virtio-video, and the
non-consensual way in which its development has been, let's say
"redirected".

The repo above contains the specification in the README file
(presented in a more informal way than the virtio specification), as
well as a guest V4L2 driver able to pass v4l2-compliance when proxying
the vivid/vicodec virtual devices or an actual UVC camera using the
crosvm V4L2 proxy device [1]. As of now it is basically
feature-complete and offers everything that virtio-video is supposed
to eventually do. I am considering adding support for multiple devices
and requests to allow more complex camera setups.

Since the initial proposal has been rejected I have no intent to push
this forward for merging in the virtio specification, so this will
live out of the official spec. However, it is likely that we will soon
switch to this solution for video support in ChromeOS and possibly
other Google projects with a similar need for a stable virtualization
solution for media devices.

Anyone who is interested in using this for their project, or with
specific requests, is welcome to contact me or open issues on the
Github project.

Cheers,
Alex.

[1] https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/c/crosvm/crosvm/+/5065329