Subject: Next version: Proceeding with placeholder numbering?

We've been stalled now for quite a bit of time as the issue of how to
proceed with numbering is still unresolved. This leads to quite a bit
of backlog and uncertainty of whether people can proceed with new
features.

Can we introduce a dummy/placeholder version for those new things which
are basically ready to be voted upon and proceed with voting with the
understanding that the placeholder version will be replaced with
whatever will be agreed upon later? Having an agreed outcome would be
good enough IMO for including the respective code in mainline, even if
the standard containing it has not been released yet.

Thoughts?