voting message

Subject: A message from Board Candidate Hisanao Sugamata

Voting reps,

Hisanao Sugamata has submitted the following replies to our Member questions for your review.  Unfortunately, due to the time-zone challenges of global communication and the accelerated nomination period we are using, this information was not available to be included when the ballot and candidate documents were posted.  Please give his replies careful consideration as you do all other candidate’s replies, available at http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/voting/download.php/3869/questionairre.html.

A web based version of this candidate information will reside on the Organizational Voting group document list. http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/voting/download.php/3886/sugamata_questionairre.html

Scott

1. Do you feel that the current OASIS IPR Policy is adequate for the consortium? If not, what would you change in the current policy? Should OASIS adopt an IPR policy similar to W3C's? Why?

The current OASIS Policy on IPR is good enough to protect the property rights of the contributors to the technical specifications as the OASIS standards, but also to be a stumbling block to widespread the OASIS standards. Sometimes we see some wasting time and resource to develop the standards intending to achieve the similar goal with similar technology, because of fighting around the IPR within OASIS and between other standard bodys.

Now we should start to discuss more flexible ways by means of IPR to publish the OASIS standards including the similar way of W3C and Open source.

2. Do you think OASIS should work to better optimize the liaisons of OASIS and its Member Sections and TCs to other standards organizations in order to better align (partly) overlapping efforts? How?

As XML is widely adopted in various eBusiness standards, OASIS has been recognized as one of world class standard bodies in the information technology. OASIS, as influential organization, should take a certain roll harmonizing the methodologies and technologies for defining, implementing and using of the structured information (XML). Therefore OASIS should form relationships with most of the leading standard bodies and the influential industry user groups. The relationship includes not only exchanging liaisons but also forming joint technical committees.

3. What is your position on the flexibility of OASIS' process with regard to the formation of TCs? Do you think that there should be a means to avoid duplicate efforts (both within OASIS and related to other organizations)? If so, how should this be accomplished?

As OASIS is engaged in the emerging technologies, the flexibility of forming Technical committees is desirable, because the new ideas are taken care of for unknown future revolution in IT technology.

4. The OASIS current mission statement includes helping to 'drive the ... adoption of e-Business standards'. Do you believe that this is an appropriate role for OASIS? Does e-Business adequately define our space? Should we be doing more to foster adoption and implementation of specs and standards produced at OASIS? If so, what specific recommendations should we pursue?

According to Bylows, OASIS is dedicated to accelerating the further adoption, application, and implementation of structured information standards. It covers only a part of e-Business. OASIS should be doing more to foster adoption and implementation of specs and standards produced around the open structured information standards.

The standardization process of the important area in e-Business, such as ebXML, WEB service and UBL are rather slower than user’s expectation. In order to speed up the process in these area, OASIS Board members should take a roll to solve any conflictions within OASIS and with other standard bodies.

5. What should OASIS do to get more end-user and international companies involved - especially in the requirements definition and in implementation activities?

For inviting more end-users, OASIS should ask the certain industry associations to establish the liaison relationship. It is one of the ideas to set up the new committee engaged in analyzing the end-user’s requirements.