was message

Subject: Re: [was] The ID generation issue

Ivan Ristic wrote:

> Jeff Williams wrote:
>
>> I agree with the idea to delete the date from the ID.  I also like
>> the idea behind the URI approach to ID's.  But I think that the ID
>> should be separate from the location of the repository where the evdl
>> entries are stored.
>>    http://repository.com/evdl/thinkingstone/protect/123456
>

>   You want to separate the functions of publishers and repositories?
>   That's a good point. I agree.
>

>> Your point about different parts of the EVDL having different IDs is
>> interesting.
>

>   Well, I'd really like to see the parts be independent from each
>   other. Otherwise I don't see who will adopt them as standard.
>   Vulnerability scanner people are not interested in metadata or
>   protect. Web application firewall people are not interested in
>   anything but Protect. And so on...

I think in general all "security domain" providers will be intersted in
the generic parts: profile and metadata.
However, we still need to provide a way to reference another instance by
ID - which we already do in the schema (we need to make sure this sample
validates, I just posted it):

http://www.evdl.net/latest/examples/example-protect-by-ref-1.xml

Also, to support direct retrieval from a repository, we could add
location attribute in recipe tag, e.g. like this:
    <recipe
location="http://www.evdl.net/evdldb?id=magnolia-9E9BC8AD2338EBBBF6986C4255409A6D";

id="magnolia-9E9BC8AD2338EBBBF6986C4255409A6D">

---
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<evdl xmlns="http://www.oasis.org/evdl-0.1";
xmlns:xp="http://www.oasis.org/evdl-0.1-protect";
xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.oasis.org/evdl-0.1
C:\was\112404\evdl-0.1.xsd">
<!-- to do: provide URL to database -->
    <recipe
location="http://www.evdl.net/evdldb?id=magnolia-9E9BC8AD2338EBBBF6986C4255409A6D";
id="magnolia-9E9BC8AD2338EBBBF6986C4255409A6D">
        <ruleSet stage="requestHeaders" action="error"  condition="and">
            <rule
                operator="eq"
                args="request.params.username"
                pattern="admin"