Subject: Re: PAC Minutes: Dec 23, 1999

So as not to take up time with it on the 6th, I'll
write up here a couple notes about the minutes
of our first formal meeting and the procedure
we used.  I assume Jon will have swotted up on the
procedure for dealing with the minutes and proposed
amendments.

The minutes should be amended to include notice
of the motion to adjourn and its adoption (because
minutes are supposed to note all decisions of the
committee - I won't search for support for that in
R - and because the kind of adjournment is
significant, as Jon observed.

In fact, it appears that the motion was a motion
to adjourn, amended with provision for the
date and time of the next meeting.  On the
general question, the best language I can find
is p 86, "How Meetings to Continue a Session
are Scheduled".  In the next section, p 87,
R says, "The society meets again at the time
provided in its bylaws or other rules, or as
already established by the adoption of an
earlier motion."

So we seem to have three choices of method
here:  1) adopt a motion setting the schedule of
the whole series of meetings (we haven't done
that formally), 2) set the time and date of the next
meeting at the end of each one by amending the
Motion to Adjourn (which is what I think we did),
or 3), in each meeting separately pass a
Motion to Fix the Time to Which to Adjourn
(R art 22, pp 241-46, with helpful exampleat the end),
which is not to be confused with the Motion
to Fix the Time at Which to Adjourn.  We could
do that any time during the meeting.  (These three
are methods a-c on pp 86-87, in a different order.)

Note that our schedule is not routine for R because
for R, a regular meeting (art 9, pp 90ff) is one that
occurs on a a regular schedule: weekly, monthly,
or quarterly.

regards, Terry