Subject: Re: re time scales

Terry Allen wrote:

> (E's reply went to him and me, cc'd to workprocess, which creates
> too many copies of the same message, so I'm responding to the list
> afresh.)
>
> >But what I meant is that there wouldn't be time scales established
> for the OASIS process inasmuch as email voting is concerned. Let
> the TCs establish their own scales. Why should there be an
> OASIS base for that?
>
> I think there should be!  Part of the problem with email voting
> is that a vote can be called and over with before someone away for
> only a short time can even learn of it.  I want to know when I
> can safely not check email.  And we have time scales for lots of
> other things.  If the TCs are going to set their own, it probably
> should be a matter for discussion before the TC is formed ...

which I believe I suggested...but even if it's not discussed before
the TC is formed, the TC can, and should, set it up when the standing
procedure for email voting is formalized.

Look, all I'm driving at is that this is a particular field in which
a fiat by the board or by us just won't work -- there are too many
variables, as many as there can be TC participants, and a
general solution is unavailable.  IOW, I believe this is one of
those (few?) cases where TCs can be treated as adults.

--
Eduardo Gutentag               |         e-mail: eduardo@eng.Sun.COM
XML Technology Center          |         Phone:  (650) 786-5498