Subject: PAC: First draft of bylaw amendments

To: workprocess@lists.oasis-open.org

OK, here's what I've got so far.  This assumes passage of CS 6 but
leaves open MT 10 (email procedure), putting in its place recent
language under discussion.

This is an early draft, sent to keep to the schedule I promised
and in order to give Terry some light reading while he's on
vacation.  (Just kidding, Terry.)  It's not even the draft that I
intend to submit for your consideration; that I expect to have out
just before I leave for Paris on Friday.  But if you should have
any early comments, I would of course be happy to get them.

I will be completely tied up with the Java One conference for the
next two days, so I may not see further communication from this
group until Thursday, and if I'm running way far behind in
preparations for the trip, it's possible that I won't even see
your comments until I'm on the plane, so please don't take a lack
of response as a lack of interest or attention; I will definitely
catch up with everything this weekend, and it would be very good
indeed to have responses in advance of our meetings next week.

Jon

SKETCH OF THE BYLAW CHANGES

Here are the basic things I think we need to do to the bylaws.

1. Change the title of Article 5 from "Committees" to "Committees
   of the Board."

2. Delete the last sentence of Article 5 Section 2 (limiting
   Committees of the Board to advisory committees).  This is not
   necessary to the specification of TCs, but it is in my opinion
   a sensible move.

3. Add new Article 14, "Technical Committees," a very rough draft
   of which appears below.

4. Add new Article 15, "Standards," a very rough draft of which
   appears below.

CHANGES MADE TO EARLIER LANGUAGE

This is basically a cut-and-paste job, so of course a great deal
of the wording had to be diddled with get things to fit properly
and to bring everything up to roughly the same level of formality.
It would be ridiculous to attempt an account even of substantive
additions; this draft should be considered the start of a new
phase of the activity and the language should be reviewed on its
own merits, referring to earlier language only if it looks as if
something I've done inadvertently reverses an earlier decision.

With the exception of places I've noted in the text, I don't
recall having consciously done anything here that would actually
contradict any policy decision we made earlier, but I have found
it necessary to add quite a bit to fill in lacunae discovered in
assembly, and in at least one place (the specification of which
mailing lists get created for each TC), I found it necessary to
fill in enough missing pieces that I may in fact have taken a
direction contrary to what individual members of the PAC had
thought we decided.  Apparent conflicts should be identified, and
I will either fix them or add them as issues to a fresh issues
list, the start of which I will post in a separate message.

Major editorial changes include the following:

1. I have tried to resolve overlapping descriptions of meeting
   requirements.

2. I have attempted workable definitions of "meeting" and
   "business day," but given the recent discussion of the latter,
   I've already put it on the new issues list.

3. I have replaced "session" with "meeting" throughout.  We need
   to review this.  There seems to be a conflict here between
   "meeting" as that term is generally understood in our community
   and "meeting" as defined by Robert's, but I can't tell whether
   this conflict is apparent or real.

4. I have to taken "OASIS" back to "OASIS administration" because
   otherwise it collides with the corporate sense of "OASIS" in
   the rest of the bylaws.

5. Having discovered that an entire (short) article of the bylaws
   is devoted to a definition of "fiscal year," I have used that
   term throughout in place of "calendar year."

6. "30 days" has been substituted for "one month," "seven days"
   for "one week," "15 days" for "two weeks," "30 days" for "four
   weeks," and "45 days" for "six weeks" throughout.

Article 14.  Technical Committees

1. Definitions

   The following definitions shall apply within the scope of this
   article.

      Individual OASIS member -- one of a class of individuals
      that includes persons holding individual memberships in the
      corporation, employees of organizational members of the
      corporation, members of organizations to which OASIS has
      extended the benefits of joint membership, and such other
      persons as may be designated by the board of directors.

      Technical Committee (TC) -- a group of individual OASIS
      members formed and conducted according to the provisions of
      this article.

      Joint Committee (JC) -- a TC all of whose members are also
      members of at least one liaison subcommittee appointed for
      the purpose of participating in the JC.

      Liaison subcommittee -- a subcommittee of a TC formed to
      provide one or more members of a JC.

      Meeting -- includes meetings conducted by telephone or as
      well as meetings conducted in person.  A meeting may extend
      over several consecutive business days.  Telephone meetings
      may or may not include a video component.

      Mail -- includes electronic mail as well as postal mail.

      Fiscal quarters -- consecutive periods of three months each
      such that the beginning of the first calendar quarter in
      each year coincides with the beginning of the fiscal year as
      defined in Article 8 of these Bylaws.

      Business day -- excludes weekends and such holidays as may
      be designated by the board of directors. [THIS ISSUE IS
      STILL UNDER DISCUSSION.]  "Day" without qualification means
      calendar day.

      OASIS administration -- persons appointed by the board of
      directors to represent OASIS in administrative matters
      relating to TCs.

2. TC Discussion Lists

   Any group of at least three individual OASIS members shall be
   authorized to begin a discussion list for the purpose of
   forming a TC by submitting to OASIS administration the
   following items:

    - The name of the discussion list, which shall not be the same
      as the name of the list in which the TC itself will operate
      once formed.

    - A preliminary statement of scope for the TC that the list is
      intended to form.

    - The names, electronic mail addresses, and membership
      affiliations of the individual OASIS members proposing to
      create the discussion list.

    - The name of the discussion list leader.

   No later than 15 days following the submission, OASIS shall
   provide these materials to the membership with a call for
   participation in a discussion list whose purpose is to form the
   TC described in the application.  Discussion of TC formation
   shall begin on the list no sooner than seven days after the
   announcement.  More than one TC can be formed from a discussion
   list.  A list established to discuss the formation of a TC
   under provisions of this section shall automatically go out of
   existence 90 days after the call for participation.

3. TC Formation

   Any group of at least three individual OASIS members shall be
   authorized to begin a TC by submitting to OASIS administration
   the following items, written in English and provided in
   electronic form as plain text:

    - Name of the TC.

    - Statement of purpose, which must be germane to the mission
      of OASIS.

    - List of deliverables, with projected dates.

    - Language in which the TC will conduct business.

    - Date and time of the first meeting, and whether it will be
      held in person or by phone.

    - Proposed meeting schedule for the year following the
      formation of the TC, or until the projected date of the
      final deliverable, whichever comes first.

    - Names, electronic mail addresses, and membership
      affiliations of at least three individual OASIS members committed
      to the stated meeting schedule.

    - Name of the TC chair.

    - Names of phone meeting sponsors, if any.

    - Names of face-to-face meeting sponsors, if any.

   No later than 15 days following the submission, OASIS
   administration shall provide these materials to the membership
   with a call for participation and an announcement of a first
   meeting.  At the same time, OASIS administration shall form
   three electronic mail lists for the TC, namely a general list,
   an announcement list, and a comment list, as described further
   in the section titled "TC visibility," and the person named as
   chair of the TC shall be given administrative control of these
   lists.

4. First Meeting of a TC

   The first meeting of a TC shall occur no less than 30 days
   after the announcement in the case of a telephone meeting and
   no less than 45 days after the announcement in the case of a
   face-to-face meeting.  Persons intending to participate in the
   first meeting must register to attend no later than 15 days
   prior to the event by notifying the person named as chair of
   the new TC of their intention to attend the meeting.  Every
   individual OASIS member present at the first meeting of a TC
   shall be initially a voting member of the TC.

   The first meeting of a TC must occur at the place and time and
   in the manner described in the announcement.  Any initial
   meeting whose time or location is changed and any initial phone
   meeting that fails to grant access to every individual OASIS
   member previously registering a desire to participate shall be
   potentially invalid and subject to appeal as provided in the
   section of this article titled "Appeals."  [this subsumes
   somewhat different language decided on earlier]

5. TC Membership

   An individual OASIS member shall become a prospective member
   of an existing TC by sending written notice of intention to
   participate to the chair of the TC.  Prospective membership
   shall begin seven days after this notice is received.  A
   prospective member may attend face-to-face meetings as an
   observer.  A prospective member may attend phone meetings as an
   observer at the discretion of the chair.

   A prospective member of a TC shall become a voting member of
   the TC immediately following the close of the third TC meeting
   held during the period of prospective membership or after 60
   days have elapsed following formal application to join the TC,
   whichever comes first.

   A transferred individual membership shall not automatically
   confer TC membership upon the transferee.

6. Termination of TC Membership

   Except as provided in the section of this article titled
   "Leaves of Absence," membership in an OASIS TC shall be
   terminated under the following conditions.

   [In the following two paragraphs, I have substituted "warned by
   mail" for "warned in writing" to make use of the definition of
   "mail" above.]

   a. A member shall be warned by mail upon failure to attend
      two out of every three successive meetings of the TC.
      Membership shall be terminated if the member fails to attend
      the next meeting following transmittal of the warning.

   b. A member shall be warned by mail upon failure to return
      80 percent of all mail ballots closing during any 90-day
      period.  Membership shall be terminated if the member fails
      to return 80 percent of all mail ballots closing during the
      90 days following transmittal of the warning.

   Termination of membership in an OASIS TC shall automatically
   end voting membership in any subcommittee directly or
   indirectly created by that TC.

7. Leaves of Absence

   Every member of an OASIS TC shall be entitled to at least one
   leave of absence per fiscal year.  During a leave of absence, a
   member shall be exempt from the participation criteria
   specified in the section of this article titled "Termination of
   TC Membership."  A first leave of absence in any fiscal year
   shall be obtained automatically upon application to the chair
   of the TC.

   A TC member who has already been granted a leave of absence
   during a fiscal year may apply for a maximum of one additional
   leave of absence during the same year, but a second leave of
   absence in a fiscal year shall be granted only upon formal
   resolution of the TC.

   A member of a TC who has been granted a leave of absence shall
   cease to be a member of the TC and all of its subcommittees for
   the duration of the leave.  However, membership in the TC and
   membership in any still-existing subcommittee of the TC of
   which the same person was a member at the beginning of the
   leave shall resume when the leave ends.

   The length of a leave of absence shall be specified in advance
   and shall not exceed 45 days.  A leave of absence shall begin
   no earlier than seven days after the date upon which the
   request was submitted to the chair of the TC and shall end on
   the date specified, or at the beginning of the first TC meeting
   or subcommittee meeting attended after the leave begins, or
   upon transmittal of the first mail ballot returned after the
   leave begins, whichever comes first.  Time allocated for a
   leave of absence but not used due to early resumption of
   membership cannot be carried over into another leave.

8. TC Chairs

   A TC chair may be removed by a vote of 2/3 of all the members
   of the TC.

   Vacancies in chairing a TC shall be filled by election from the
   membership of the TC.

   The same provisions regarding leaves of absence shall apply to
   the chair of a TC as to the other members of a TC, except the
   chair must notify both OASIS administration and the TC at least
   30 days prior to any non-emergency leave of absence.

9. TC Visibility

   [Pulling this section together was a lot harder than I thought.
   Please read it carefully.]

   All TC electronic mail lists shall be archived for the duration
   of the corporation, and all TC mail archives shall be publicly
   visible.  Each TC shall be provided upon formation with a
   general list, an announcement list, and a comment list.

   Every individual OASIS member shall be able to subscribe to and post to
   the general mailing list of any TC.  The minutes of each TC
   meeting shall be published to that TC's general list.

   Every individual OASIS member shall be able to subscribe to the
   announcement list of a TC, but only the TC chair, or TC
   secretary if such has been elected, shall be able to post to
   it.  To the announcement list of each TC shall be posted
   notifications of every important change in the status of that
   TC, such changes to include but not be limited to the
   following: TC formation; revision of purpose, deliverables, or
   meeting schedule; publication of working drafts; publication of
   committee specifications; calls for implementation; submission
   of a specification as a proposed OASIS standard; approval or
   rejection of a proposed standard; start or end of participation
   in a joint committee; and closure of the TC.

   The comment list of a TC shall be open to contributions from
   every individual OASIS member, and may also be enabled to accept comments
   from other groups or from the public at large by resolution of
   the TC.  TCs shall not be required to respond to comments.
   [Can peoople receive mail from a comment list?  If so, what's
   to prevent it from becoming another general discussion list?]

10. TC Procedure

   The operation of TCs shall be governed by Robert's Rules of
   Order, as such rules may be revised from time to time, insofar
   as such rules are not inconsistent with or in conflict with
   these Bylaws, with the Articles of Incorporation of this
   corporation, or with provisions of law.

   Formal actions of TCs shall be governed by the same rules
   regardless of the language in which the work is taking place.

11. TC Meetings

   Any TC that fails to conduct at least one legal meeting during
   a fiscal year shall cease to exist at the beginning of the
   fiscal year immediately following.

12. TC Revision

   A TC can revise its purpose, deliverables, or meeting schedule
   by formal resolution; such changes shall be reported on the
   TC's announcement list, and any revisable publicly visible
   description (e.g., Web page) promulgated by the TC shall be
   updated to reflect such changes.

13. TC Voting

   Every member of a TC has a single vote.  Organizations do not vote
   in TCs.  Proxies shall not be allowed in TC voting.

   The final approval of a committee specification shall require
   at least 2/3 of the total membership of a TC voting to approve
   and no more than 1/4 voting to disapprove.

   [The following is currently under discussion (MT 10); this
   draft language is just a placeholder.]

   | A TC may adopt a standing rule authorizing its chair to draft
   | resolutions, to propose such drafts to the members of the TC
   | for discussion, to put such resolutions to the members of the
   | TC for a vote by mail when a majority seem to be agreed, and to
   | conduct votes on such resolutions by mail.
   |
   | The period allowed for voting by mail shall be five days,
   | unless the TC specifies a different voting period in the
   | resolution authorizing the vote or in standing rules governing
   | mail ballots.

14. TC Coordination

   Coordination among TCs shall take place through the action of
   voluntary joint committees (JCs).

   The formation of a JC shall begin with the preparation of a JC
   proposal.  A JC proposal must meet all of the criteria for a TC
   proposal, and it must in addition contain

    - The date and time of the first meeting of the JC, such date
      to be no less than 45 days and no more than one year from
      the date of submission.

    - A list of all the TCs that will cooperate in the work of the
      JC.

    - The name of at least one member from each of those TCs who
      is committed to the purpose and meeting schedule of the JC.
      No individual named in the proposal shall be allowed to
      represent more than one TC in meeting this requirement.

   Within 14 days of its submission, OASIS administration shall
   convey the proposal to the chairs of all the TCs named in the
   proposal and shall in addition copy the proposal to the
   announcement lists of those TCs.  Each of the TCs shall then
   have until 30 days before the date set in the proposal for the
   first JC meeting to appoint a liaison subcommittee, the members
   of which are thereby empowered to participate in the JC
   described in the proposal.  The appointment of liaison
   subcommittees shall be governed by the same rules that apply to
   the appointment of ordinary TC subcommittees.  [Is the last
   sentence necessary?]

   Upon the appointment of liaison subcommittees by all of the TCs
   named in the proposal, OASIS shall create a mailing list for
   the new JC and shall announce its formation to the membership,
   but for informational purposes only and not as a call for
   participation.

   The voting members of a newly created JC shall be those OASIS
   members who (a) have been appointed to a liaison subcommittee
   created for this purpose by one of the TCs cooperating in the
   JC, (b) individually register their intention to attend the
   first meeting of the JC by sending mail no later than 14 days
   preceding the meeting to the chair of the JC, and (c) attend
   the first meeting of the JC.

   The first meeting of a JC shall not be called to order until at
   least one member from each liaison subcommittee appointed to
   participate in the JC is present at the meeting.  If this
   requirement is not met by the end of the time scheduled for the
   first meeting, then the JC shall cease to exist, and OASIS
   administration shall close its mailing list.  No person shall
   be counted as representing more than one TC for purposes of
   this requirement.

   Membership in a JC after its first meeting shall be governed by
   the same rules governing membership in a TC, with the added
   requirement that any prospective member of a JC must first be a
   member of a liaison subcommittee appointed for this purpose by
   one of the cooperating TCs.

   Except as provided in this section, all of the provisions for
   meetings, membership, termination of membership, and leaves of
   absence that apply to members of TCs shall apply equally to
   JCs, with the added requirement that warnings of termination of
   membership shall be copied to the chairs of TCs contributing a
   member to the JC as well as to the affected member.

   The membership of a person in a JC shall terminate if that
   person resigns from the JC, fails to meet the generic
   participation requirements of JCs and TCs, or ceases to be a
   member of any of the liaison subcommittees participating in the
   JC.

   If termination of membership in a JC causes a still existing
   TC's contribution of voting members to that JC to fall to zero,
   the chair of the JC shall, within 14 days following the
   termination of membership, notify OASIS and the chair of the
   formerly participating TC that the TC is in breach of its
   obligation to contribute to the work of the JC.  The TC shall
   have 90 days following this notice to appoint a new liaison
   subcommittee, whose members shall become prospective members of
   the JC.  If none of those prospective members fulfills the
   requirements for participation in the JC, the attempt to create
   a liaison subcommittee shall be declared a failure.

   If a still-existing TC in breach of its obligation to
   contribute to a JC fails to appoint a liaison subcommittee
   within the time stated, then all activities and mailing lists
   of that JC shall cease until its successor, if any, can be
   organized according to the provisions for starting a JC.

   If one or more TCs participating in a JC cease to exist but
   more than one TC remains, the chair of the JC shall so inform
   OASIS administration, and the remaining TCs after notice from
   OASIS administration shall have 30 days thereafter to adopt a
   joint resolution agreeing to carry on the work of the JC
   without requalifying its members.  If they fail to adopt such a
   resolution, the JC shall cease to exist.

   A TC shall have no obligation to abide by any decision arrived
   at in a JC to which it contributes membership.  The business of
   a JC to which a TC contributes membership shall be imparted to
   the TC through reports from the chair of its liaison
   subcommittee.  Such reports shall have the same force and shall
   be made, received, and acted upon in the same manner as reports
   from any other subcommittee of the TC.

   A TC shall be added to or removed from the set of TCs
   contributing to a JC only upon joint resolution of all of the
   participating TCs.

15. Appeals

   [This is all new language; the only thing we approved earlier
   was: "OASIS shall be responsible for certifying compliance with
   procedural and technical criteria."  The language proposed here
   uses some bits and pieces loosely adapted from NCITS
   procedures.]

   Any group of three or more individual OASIS members who believe that an
   action taken or not taken is in violation of the procedures set
   forth in these Bylaws or specified by the board of directors of
   the corporation may appeal such action or inaction to OASIS
   administration.  Appellants shall file a formal complaint
   within thirty days of the action being appealed or at any time
   with respect to an inaction.  The complaint shall state the
   nature of the objection(s), including any direct and material
   adverse effects upon the appellants; the section(s) of these
   Bylaws or of the board resolution(s) at issue; the actions or
   inactions at issue; and the specific remedial action(s) that
   would satisfy the appellants' concerns.  Previous efforts to
   resolve the objection(s) and the outcome of each shall be
   noted.

   Within 30 days of receipt of the complaint, OASIS
   administration shall respond to the appellants, addressing each
   allegation of fact in the complaint to the extent of the
   administration's knowledge.  If the appellants and the
   administration are unable to resolve the complaint informally
   within 15 days following the response, the administration shall
   schedule a formal hearing before the OASIS board of directors
   at the next regular board meeting.

   In a hearing before the board, appellants shall have the burden
   of demonstrating adverse effects, improper action or inaction,
   and the efficacy of the requested remedial action.  The board
   shall render its decision within 30 days.  The decision of the
   board shall be final.

   The board shall have the authority to order such remedial
   action as may be necessary to remedy a complaint brought under
   this procedure and found to be valid.

16. Application to Existing TCs

   OASIS TCs created previous to the adoption of this article
   shall become TCs as defined herein upon adoption of this
   article, and their members at the time this article is adopted
   shall become members of their respective TCs as if each TC had
   been created according to the provisions of this article.
   Advisory committees created previously to authorize such TCs
   shall cease to exist upon adoption of this article.

Article 15. Standards

1. Definitions

   The definitions given in Article 14 Section 1 shall apply
   within this article.

2. Standards Process

   A technical committee (TC) as defined in Article 14 of these
   bylaws that has approved and published a committee
   specification may simultaneously or at some later time
   recommend that the specification be made an OASIS standard.
   Upon resolution of the TC to move the specification forward,
   its chair shall submit the following items to OASIS:

      a. A formal specification that is a valid member of its
	 type.

      b. Appropriate documentation for the specification, written
	 in the language of reference.

      c. A clear English-language summary of the specification.

      d. Certification by at least three OASIS member
	 organizations that they are successfully using the
	 specification.

      e. An account of votes and comments received in any earlier
	 attempts to standardize substantially the same
	 specification, together with the originating TC's
	 response to each comment.

      f. A pointer to the publicly visible comments archive for
	 the originating TC.

      [unresolved issue to be decided in Paris: IPR policy for the
      standards process; Terry Allen has said that he intends to
      propose IETF rules]

   Thirty days shall be allowed for administrative processing of a
   proposed standard.  The proposal shall be submitted to the
   OASIS membership for review at the beginning of the fiscal
   quarter immediately following the 30 days allocated for
   administrative review.  At the beginning of the next fiscal
   quarter, the proposal shall be submitted to the voting members
   of OASIS, who shall have thirty days to return a ballot
   approving or disapproving the proposal.

   The TC that originated the specification may, by formal
   resolution, withdraw the proposed specification at any point
   after it is submitted to OASIS for administrative processing
   and before the end of the voting period.

   In votes upon proposed OASIS standards, every OASIS member
   organization shall be entitled to cast one vote.  Individual
   OASIS members (whether the membership is transferable or
   non-transferable) shall not be entitled to vote in the approval
   of OASIS standards.  [new language:] Votes shall be cast by
   sending electronic mail to a publicly archived list created for
   this purpose.  Votes may be changed up until the end of the
   voting period.

   The results of a vote on a proposed standard shall be provided
   to the membership and to the TC no later than seven days
   following the close of the voting period.

   If at the end of the voting period at least 10 percent of the
   voting membership has voted to approve the proposed standard,
   then

   a. If no votes have been cast to disapprove the proposed
      standard, it shall become an OASIS standard immediately
      following the end of the voting period.

   b. If negative votes amounting to less than 10 percent of the
      voting membership have been cast, the negative votes and
      accompanying comments, if any, shall be forwarded to the
      originating TC for consideration.  After notification of the
      results, the TC shall have 30 days to take one of the
      following actions by formal resolution:

      1. direct OASIS to approve the specification as submitted
	 despite the negative votes, or

      2. withdraw the submission entirely, or

      3. submit an amended specification, in which case the
	 amended submission shall be considered as if it were a
	 new submission, except that information regarding
	 previous votes and any disposition of comments received
	 in previous votes shall accompany the amended submission.

   If at the end of the voting period less than 10 percent of the
   voting membership has voted to approve the proposed standard,
   or if at the end of the voting period 10 percent or more of the
   voting membership has voted to disapprove the proposed
   standard, or if the orginating TC upon notification of negative
   votes takes no formal action within the 30 days allocated for
   consideration of the results, then the specification shall not
   become an OASIS standard.  This shall not prevent the same or
   similar specification from being submitted again.