Subject: Re: Bylaw Am's: automatically

Terry Allen wrote:

> In the 2000.06.16 test of the amendments to the Bylaws, art 5 says
>
> 5. TC Membership
>
>    A PEOTCP shall become a prospective member of an existing TC...
>
>    A transferred individual membership shall not automatically
>    confer TC membership upon the transferee.
>
> I think that "automatically" implies a possible other way (by
> prior appeal to the Board, by buying a round of drinks, by lot)
> of obtaining TC membership on the part of the transferee.  So
> I think that the intended meaning is better served by deleting
> "automatically" and so suggest.
>
> regards, Terry

Well, I don't know. I think most people would interpret "automatically"
as meaning "by virtue of the transference" and not what you imply.
Also, there is something I dislike in the sentence "A transferred
individual membership shall not confer TC membership upon the
transferee", possibly because it could be interpreted, in the full
context of (5), as meaning that there exists no way in which a
transferee can obtain membership in any TC in which the original
member was a member.

Can we compromise?

"A transferred individual membership shall not confer, by virtue of
the transference, TC membership upon the transferee."

I so suggest.
--
Eduardo Gutentag               |         e-mail: eduardo@eng.Sun.COM
XML Technology Center          |         Phone:  (650) 786-5498