Subject: Addition to the issues list

I've just received this comment from James Clark, chair of the
TREX TC.  Please consider it one of the issues we will be
addressing in our meeting of June 13.

Jon

 From: "James Clark" <jjc@jclark.com>
 To: "Jon Bosak" <Jon.Bosak@eng.sun.com>
 Subject: OASIS Process Comment
 Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 18:09:16 +0700

 [...]

 The TC process rules on mailing list participation don't make
 sense to me. A TC foo has two lists: a foo list and a foo-comment
 list.  Anbody can post to the foo-comment list and that forwards
 to the foo list.  Moreover the foo list archives are open to
 anybody.  So the net result is that anybody can both read and send
 messages to the foo list.  Yet subscription to the foo list is
 open only to members.  This requires laborious extra work for
 chairs in checking membership, annoys those who are refused
 subscription, and detracts from the perceived openness of the
 OASIS process. The policy of limiting membership of the TC and
 attendance at meetings to OASIS members seems totally reasonable.
 But there does not seem any point in limiting subscription to the
 mailing lists. I find it embarassing to have to enforce this. If
 the purpose is to stop disruption to mailing list discussions by
 non-members, then the current rules are ineffective, since posting
 to the foo-comment list is unrestricted.