Subject: Re: [ogsi-wg] RE: [ws-caf] WS-Resource Framework

Ian, maybe I misunderstood your specifications, but I fail to see the
difference: it's syntactic sugar as far as I can see. What gives you the
impression that WS-Context cannot be used to model stateful resources? How
you unambiguously identify a stateful instance of an object or service is by
some unique identification process. WS-Context allows a series of messages
directed at a specific endpoint to be correlated by a unique identifier that
can be interpreted by that endpoint to represent some back-end state. Seems
exactly the same patter that is illustrated in your ModelingState document
on page 12.

As with many things I'm sure we could argue this until the proverbial cows
come home, but WS-Context does allow for the management and manipulation of
stateful instances as first class entities in a Web services environment. As
Savas mentioned, this was shown in an earlier paper, so I won't reiterate it
here.

All the best,

Mark.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ian Foster" <foster@mcs.anl.gov>
To: "Savas Parastatidis" <Savas.Parastatidis@newcastle.ac.uk>; "Newcomer,
Eric" <Eric.Newcomer@iona.com>
Cc: <ws-caf@lists.oasis-open.org>; <ogsi-wg@gridforum.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2004 10:34 PM

Eric:

We (the WSRF authors) are very familiar with WS-Context and certainly agree
that it has an important role to play.

However, we also believe that there are important situations in which
stateful resources need to be identified and managed as first-class
entities: thus WS-Resource Framework. Thus the enthusiastic response we are
seeing to the proposal from the IBM and HP Web services teams, as well as
many others.

Ian.