Subject: minutes from f2f 7-13-2004 morning

Morning

Reserved discussion for issues raised by Peter

136, 137, 138 about child contexts first.
Starting with 136: discussion of whether this should actually be the
child contexts. Greg pointed out that specs may be in error. Alastair
believes this is part of higher level protocol definition and is arguing
that it doesn't belong in context: ancestral trail or tree reflecting
children. Peter: concerned that typed field could be of the wrong type.
Alastair: needs to be general to context. Eric: doesn't buy the
argument: this is a general mechanism for representing nesting. Peter:
doesn't think it should be reflected in the context. When nesting is
occuring, are the fields sufficiently common. Eric: nice general
purpose, in simple spec. Alastair: disagrees.

Setting up queue. Peter, Greg

Peter. Believes that 136, 137, and 138 would be answerable by reference
to spec.
Greg: two points: we did go over use cases. Replication, security,
transactions (we're all familiar with the latter); shouldn't we simply
be validating structuring.
Eric: agrees with Greg

Peter is uploading file for 10 minute discussion

"Any construct whose semantic definition is only given in an extension
specification should not be in the base". Somewhat analogous to
polymorphism, but not quite. Greg: might this Context not be more like
java.lang.String? Fully scoped, but semantics are applied with an
application domain.

Context type: represented as struct.

Alastair: optional is a warning flag. Procedural motion to go issue 1 by 1.

Greg: schema doesn't supply normative rules. Alastair: what if text
doesn't say optional. Greg:: needs to.

Moving on to 136. Peter on guiding principles. Martin: not sure slide 1
is wholely clear. Alastair: number of ways to have baseness, so we have
to be careful.

Mark: we voted to support nesting: shouldn't we just fix to reflect parents.

Alastair: nesting is ambigous. Martin: no it's not. Alastair: do we need
to have the full tree? Doug: no, only a branch. Greg: by branch, you
mean a fully directed path? Doug, yes. Martin: that's what shown.
Alastair: ordering, partitioning, etc., implies a particular use. Why is
this particular use being given preference?

Alastair: where do we need the whole tree: grid of network elements.
Greg: I don't disagree, but we have concrete use cases. Why can't we
support them? Alastair: have heard three views. Doug: Greg and I saying
same thing. Peter:

Peter: Consider this hierarchy:

|--b--c
|    |--d
|--e

can you say for all possible contexts what this means? Can it cover
arbitrary relationships?

Martin: this is only about parent-child relationships.

Alastair motion: remove child-contexts element from the context-type.
Seconded by Peter. Discussion. Queue: Malik. Alastair. Mark. Eric.
Ammendments can be proposed.

Malik: does motion mean that concept of nested activity is removed?
Alastair: belongs in referencing spec. Malik: possibility to do nested
activity should be present in context service. Would prefer to see
parent context, but concept of nested activity should be removed.
Alastair: believes example of why this should be removed. Believes that
this will be a derived context service that understands nesting. It is a
property of a higher level extension specification. May be many
relationships. Shouldn't privilige one deemed relationship: you are
trying to foresee all possible referencing specifications over time and
selecting some subset. Believes basic notion of context is an identity
of activities only.

Eric: believes useful and needs to be preserved but fixed. Generic
infrastructure is useful. Ex. SOAP headers defined in advance of use.

Mark: proposal: The Context structure be changed to reflect parent child
relationship whereby the child context is replaced by parent context
(meant to represent current attribute name in context schema). Spec
should be updated, to describe that this data structure only reflects a
linear portion of a potentially tree like activity structure from the
root to the leaf.

Alastair: point of order. Ammendment delete Alastair's and replace by.

Malik: second

Alastair: procedural motion: may be proposed as counterposed motions.
Don't need charade.

Alastair: Mark meant to say from the leaf to the root. Doug:
parenthetical: most narrow to most wide.

Mark ammends "from leaf to root".

Peter off queue: implicit but not stated about begin would fall away in
original motion. Unclear that CF uses this mechanism. Is Mark proposing
to revise this? Mark: reaction: change requires newly created activity
to become the leaf and parent in hierarchy. Peter: should it put explict
qualification on begin? Mark, is that not a separate issue. Peter,
trouble is, answer effects how the relationship is understood by
referening specification. If begin text says nothing, than this violates
"Peter's first rule" from slidesets. In addition, presence or absence of
field has no implication for how activities may be related (answering
Malik).

Doug off queue: ammendment does a poor job of helping Doug understand
how contexts of multiple types relate in a particular message. Spec is
ambigous and suggests that there's a way to relate different activities.
Original motion clarified relationship expression by removing them. Are
activities in tree of the same type or different types? If different
types, then nothing

Greg off queue: felt ammendment clarified (though I always assumed that
Contexts of the same type). nesting is indeed a particular relationship,
however it may be expressed as a general property as evidenced by the
original definition of the context manager -- which worked in concert
with the als. It is perhaps an implementation choice. Second: we want to
express attributes of context, not just activity.

Goran: agrees with Peter's first slide "semantics that are unique to
referencing specification should be defined there". Begin should define
framework for creation. Believes context nesting belongs naturally in
this specification as an artifact of context management.

Alastair: coordination framework relevant. Nesting relationships should
be expressed via context.  Coordination framework tree is indepdent and
does not make use. We have a mechanism artifially forced on referencing
specification. Or mechanism isn't going to be used by CF. Do have
specificity that cannot be distilled. Can remove begin, but points that
functionality belongs in referencing specification. Believes that there
is a latent desire to bag sets of contexts. Child context wasn't
intended to do this. Doug: ambiguity in the text. Alastair believes
there needs to be an statement that they need to be of the same type.

Martin: believes use cases for leaf to parent is useful enough.

Mark: no example for something other than parent child relationships.
Other specs comparisons, txm and cf, is wrong because they were written
against older version of specs with other assumptions.

Greg: tree building misleading. Modeling two things with indepdent
semantics: nested activities, activity participants. Shouldn't conflate.
Also reflects existing systems.

Eric: from discussion, we can agree that there is ambiguity.Believe we
should fix spec not throw out

Doug: believe we need to say this is for a single type. Use cases so far
has been for parent child. Havne't heard reason to have entire trail to
root rather than immediate parent. What are the use cases for more than
just parent. Eric, another ambiguity that should be resolved. Doug: may
want to genericize proposal slightly. Proposing ammendment to
ammendment: "only reflects some linear portion of a potentially tree
like relationship between contexts of the same type".

Mark seconded it. Discussion. Does this mean parent only or parent up to
root without saying "whole path". Doug: original proposal goes too far
to specific solution. But reflects that we are talking about contexts of
the same type.

Alastair: ammends ammendment to remove "only" then remove "linear
portion of potentially tree like". Motivation: let's admit that
referencing spec defines relationship. Peter second.

Malik: not clear about same type. Transactions nest transactions? Doug:
two different types would be top level headers.

Martin: partially likes Dougs proposals.

Peter: can remove ambiguity which focuses it to a particular use. Do we
want to reflect strict nesting. More precise, the less it belongs in
base specs.

Eric: believes we have moved backward away from clarification. Likes
Doug's clarification, not Alastair's.

Greg: would like to make motion to unwind.
Voting on ammendment to ammendment to ammendment to main motion.
Ammendment voted down. 1 for, 7 against, 0 abstain.

Jeff has called question on Mark's ammendment. Also have to vote on
ammendment to ammendment. No objections.
Alastair: clarification voting for, doesn't mean you agree on
ammendment. 9 for, 1 abstention for Doug's.

Alastair: quorum call before next vote. Not quorate. Martin: proceed
with recommendations to quorate group.

Vote, on marks ammended motion (child to parents). 7 yes. 2 against.
ammendment carried.

Vote on motion as ammended. "Retaking same vote" for all intents and
purposes; voting to change child to parent. 7 yes, 2 against. Net effect
is what we recommend.

Martin motion to recess for lunch, come back at 1:30.