Subject: Re: [ws-caf] WS-ACID

Apologies for not replying to this thread yesterday, but I was
presenting on WS-CAF at XTECH 2005 (I'll upload the presentation later)
and had no network connectivity. It also means you may see replies out
of order now, as I go through my email. It was a day trip: very early
start, very late finish, so I may just take another 40 winks after this ;-)

Just to clarify what Martin says; at New Orleans it was agreed by the TC
(by vote) that we would separate out the 3 models (WS-ACID, WS-LRA and
WS-BP) into their own specifications; furthermore, that we would start
work on WS-ACID first, though issues against the other models could
still be raised in preparation for future discussions. It was also
agreed (again by vote) that the concept of transaction
"micro-protocols", or more specifically protocols that would be
targetted at specific use cases and not the "one size fits all"
approach, would be taken. We mentioned BTP as a possible additional
protocol which WS-CAF might provide a binding for that would address the
latter style, if users really saw a need. The TC saw no point in
reinventing BTP within WS-CAF; it would be like reinventing SOAP or WSDL
- better to use what is already there if there's a requirement for it.

I think this is entirely consistent with what we've been talking about
every time transactions have come up in this TC. There have been several
occassions within prior teleconferences and face-to-face meetings where
this approach has been discussed. It wasn't until New Orleans that it
was voted on, however. I think this is a good opportunity to move things
forward efficiently, rather than getting bogged down in the same old
discussions.

Mark.

--
Mark Little