Subject: Illustrating Recursion requirement in potential use of WS-Calendar

At the initial meeting, I touched on a requirement that use of the ws-calendar component specification in other messages may be recursive. We will be looking at profiles that define how systems negotiate sequences of behaviors and market decisions to support those behaviors. In the notes below, but I am using a pseudo notation in which wsc refers to an element set from ws-calendar. In particular, these are energy use cases that indicates that when time and schedule of a response is the essences of the transaction, ICalendar derived information may appear several times in the negotiation.

(1)    Energy Bidding

(A)

(This proposal is good between 3 - and 4 this afternoon <== wsc element

    (What would you bid for me to give up my pre-purchased tights to power

          ( 1/2 Hour at 2:00 this afternoon) <== wsc element

    )

)

Receive bids, possible from more than one intermediary, for those negawatts

Execute a contract for the selected bid. <== wsc element

(B)

(This proposal is good between 3 - and 4 this afternoon <== wsc element

    (I wish to buy power in the following load profile

        [consecutive power contracts]

            (1/2 hour of 20 KW) <== wsc element

            (1/2 hour of 50 KW) <== wsc element

            (1/2 hour of 50 KW) <== wsc element

            (1/2 hour of 50 KW) <== wsc element

            (1/2 hour of 50 KW) <== wsc element

            (1/4 hour of 15 KW) <== wsc element

        [end of consecutive power contracts])

    (I want bid for this power to be delivered in any of the following

schedules

            (Weekday evenings starting at 6 beginning may 1 for 6 weeks) <==

wsc element

            (Weekday mornings starting at 4 beginning April 15 for 6 weeks)

<== wsc element

            (Saturday Mornings mornings starting at 8 beginning April 15 for

15 weeks) <== wsc element

     )

)

(3) Market participant may propose some alternate profiles based upon special

knowledge Manufacturer then selects which of the three schedules to use

based on price, existing union contracts, etc.

Execute a contract for the selected bid. <== wsc element

(C)

(If you call on me

  (any day this week before 10:AM <== wsc element

       (I can respond with 50 MW of power

            (within half a second but for no more than 20 minutes <== wsc

elements

            )

      )

  (But you must inform me /reserve that power / submit a bid

  (by Friday afternoon at 4:30) <== wsc elements

  )

)

(2)    There are some very good parallel cases in Data Center Management in which the calendar elements would be subsumed into WSDM or WSM.

(3)    There is also the set of requirements for standardizing enterprise / building interaction.

(A)

Ranging from:

(Conference Room B, 13 Occupants, tomorrow 3:00 - 4:00) (MSX to Building

Systems)

(B)

To the more complex

(Poll each of the building elements, each of whom is aware of the schedules

and  requirements as in the prior contract

   (Ask them how much power they could give up in 15 minutes)

) and then formulate a bid for the smart grid outside...

(C) One of the variants of this on a campus would be a large document from the

registrar's office at the beginning of the semester

(for the next 15 weeks

   (M-W-F 9-10, 150 people Room 107, Smith Building)

   (M-W-F 11-12, 120 people Room 107, Smith Building)

   (Tu-Th 9:30-11, 90 people Room 107, Smith Building)

)

Should that type of request be delivered a One document per course, or should it be, grouped by semester (next 15 weeks) or by classroom, or by time of day across all buildings, or...

WS-Calendar does not need to solve these problems explicity. It should create a set of expectations on how to handle such scenarios. These communications then become the basis for moving to autonomous choreography of actions rather than to centralized hierarchical control. If the meter management system gets the same assertion, then the cost of classes  and schedules could be compared. (At UNC, we figure half of the tuition after state subsidy is

Energy Dollars, so understanding how classroom decisions and volatile energy prices intersect is very interesting.

"Energy and persistence conquer all things." -- Benjamin Franklin

Toby Considine
TC9, Inc

OASIS Technical Advisory Board
TC Chair: oBIX & WS-Calendar