Subject: DRAFT MINUTES - Web Services Calendar (WS-Calendar) TC - 26 February 2010

Draft minutes of the TC meeting are available at

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-calendar/download.php/36691/
Minutes_WS-Calendar-TC_20100226_Draft.txt

Regards,

Gershon Janssen

---

DRAFT MINUTES
Web Services Calendar (WS-Calendar) TC
26 February 2010 02:00pm ET, 08:00pm CET

Call-In Information:

	919-962-2719 no PIN needed

NEW ACTION ITEMS:

AI20100226-001 - William Cox: Post links to PAP04 and WS-Calendar webinar

AI20100226-002 - Jeremy Roberts, Gershon Janssen: Investigate possibilities
		 to host conference line

Scribe: William Cox

1. Welcome

William Cox: DT: Called meeting to order.
William Cox: DT: Welcome to everyone on the call - first meeting of TC.
Robin Cover:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/membership.php?wg_abbrev=ws-calendar

2. Roll Call

Membership Roster:
David Thewlis		CalConnectTC
Convener
Carl Mattocks		CheckMi
Member
William Cox			Cox Software Architects LLC
Member
Gale Horst			Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)
Member
Gershon Janssen		Individual
Member
Jeremy Roberts		LonMark International
Member
Robin Cover			OASIS
Member
Alexander Papaspyrou	Technische Universitat Dortmund		Member
Brad Benson			Trane
Member
Craig Gemmill		Tridium, Inc.
Member
Toby Considine		University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Member

William Cox: Toby, Bill Cox, Gale Horst, Gershon, Carl, Jeremy, six of
seven.
William Cox: Others: Brad S., Brian Meyers - Trane. Michel Kohanim.
William Cox: Bernard Desnisseaux as ob
William Cox: Eric Chan Observer
William Cox: Robin Cover
William Cox: Ed Koch. Akuacom.
William Cox: Bernard LePeuple waiting (LonMark)
William Cox: Bob Old lurking in the background.
William Cox: ROLL: Craig Gemmill appeared

3. Nominations for Chair / Co-Chairs

William Cox: DT: Nominations -
William Cox: Bill Cox : Toby Considine for Chair
William Cox: Nominations closed.

4. Election of Chair / Co-Chairs

William Cox: DT: Second, closed.
William Cox: DT: One nomination. Formal vote ; Gershon so moves. Second:
Bill Cox. No discussion.
William Cox: DT: Any objection? Passes.
William Cox: TOBY CONSIDINE IS HONORED CHAIR.
William Cox: T: Urge people to consider the position of Secretary and
Technical Editor. Consider yourself in one of these roles.

5. Welcome from OASIS Staff incl. brief overview of TC Process and IPR
Policy

William Cox: M: Welcome from OASIS staff.
William Cox: A few things briefly. T has been with us some time. For those
of you new to OASIS and not familiar with our documents and procedures,
happy to help yuou.
William Cox: Mary McRae, (long titel). Shepherdess of the OASIS TC process,
the rules that govern what this commitee can and cannot do.
William Cox: M: Help you get your work done with as few roadblocks as
possible.
William Cox: M: First thing: Charter discussed, member review, and is now
posted on the web site. That document governs the scope of this committee.
If you're not familiar with it, you should be.
William Cox: M: Modifications are fine, as long as you don't enlarge the
scope. Liaisons, date changes, and more are perfectly acceptable.
William Cox: M: First thing is to review that charter.
William Cox: M: Next most important is OASIS IPR policy. I assume that all
of you who are here, that somewhere in  your org someone is familiar.
William Cox: M: Your IPR mode is non-assert.
Robin Cover: TC Process: http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.php
William Cox: M: Other important document is the TC Process. For people who
are looking at it for the first time, complex and convluted. My goal is to
parcel into reasonable chunks so at particular points only focus on the nec
rules.
William Cox: M: Roster, voting rights, meeting minutes.
William Cox: M: Observers - understand what that means: You get the email.
Cannot post. Cannot speak in meetings. If you want to participate in any way
shape or form, either (a) leave the group and rejoin as a member, or (b) use
the ws-calendar-comment@lists.oasis-open.org
William Cox: M: Go there, sign up for comment list, ack feedback license
(basically ack the IPR terms).
William Cox: For the six people that made the call and signed up prior to
the seven day window you are now voting members.
William Cox: M: Now more than 50% need to attend for a meeting to reach
quorum. Others, after the second meeting gain voting rights.
William Cox: M: Meissing two meetings in a row, you lose your voting rights.
William Cox: M: Will fluctuate from meeting to meeting. Chair or sec
responsible for maintaining in the groupware system.
William Cox: Persisent non-voting member status - join, be an active
participant but don't want ot affect quorum, or if many people from a single
company.
William Cox: M: For most TCs, the vast majority of work happens on the email
lists.
William Cox: M: Meeting minutes need to be recorded for each meeting. Must
include attendance list.
William Cox: M: Typically SOME VICTIM WILL BE SECRETARY.
William Cox: M: If not, chair will ask someone in rotation to take minutes.
No preference on method - some in email, some create a document. I like them
in the email list.
William Cox: B: Or you could hide it in the meeting notice.
William Cox: T: Trying to do this as quickly as we can.
William Cox: T: Secretary will help move things along much more quickly.
William Cox: B: If chair is not available?
William Cox: M: Prior meeting - chair can designate.
William Cox: M: Depends on how the co-chairs agree to it. In case the chair.
William Cox: B: Would volunteer, but I hope others will step forward.
William Cox: M: All volunteers (except Robin and me) - appreciate that;
spreading the workload out means no one person has to carry an overlaoded
burden.
William Cox: Gershon - Secretary is time acceptable.
William Cox: M: A couple of new agenda items. T; Put some off until next
meeting -- need meeting time/schedule.
William Cox: M: Do that without the missing folks input. Alex would
appreciate an earlier time.
William Cox: M: Navigating around the site. Home page, email, calendar,
simple document uploading and categorization capabilities.
William Cox: M: Ability to track action items and electronic ballots.
William Cox: M: I'll send email with a number of links. Any questions, ask
me. A number of things not automatically available.
William Cox: M: Jira issue tracking. MoinMoin Wiki. SVN repository.
William Cox: M: Available as-needed basis. All works on OASIS servers and
lists. Can put stuff elsewhere.
William Cox: M: If there's something you need that we don't offer, come to
me with a proposal and we'll do what we can.
William Cox: M: New videos - interactive tutorials.
William Cox: T: This is an odd sort of standard. Not expeted to be
freestanding. What does "implmeentation" mean when it moves from spec to
stds, when it's something only used in other specs?
William Cox: M: Not the first to face the challenge, hope you'll be the
first to leap the hurdle. Customer? Info Quality? (Carl). If need to do
addressing, call in the relevant bits of CIQ. Never to OASIS std, people
building the post office systems aren't oasis members, so no on eto certify.
William Cox: M: Similar thing with Materials Markup Language (aluminm,
steel), again not someone using as standalone thing. Manufacturing
processes.
William Cox: M: If any people are involved in building something that will
incorporate can say, yes, using it, incorporated into our application.
William Cox: M: Could be as simple as "instances validate against the
scheme"
William Cox: T: Envirison that oBIX, EMXI, EI will use it, ask to also
warrant this.
William Cox: M: Introduce Robin Cover, of the famous Cover Pages. Research
for OASIS and the standrads community as a whole.
Robin Cover: http://xml.coverpages.org/ni2010-02-08-a.html "OASIS Web
Services Calendar (WS-Calendar) TC to Create Common Scheduling Standard"
William Cox: RC will put note on WS-Calendar in the chat.

6. Other items as proposed

* Issues - Contributions, we are getting
William Cox: T: Such a fundamental task, invisible before. Get a certain
number of use cases contributed early on.
William Cox: T: History: NAESB, North American Energy Standards Board,
getting ready to contribute use cases to WS-Calendar next week.
William Cox: T: The joy of this spec is that it improves interoperation
across domains.
William Cox: T: Some hints - from the financial instruments world, which can
no longer say "close of business".
William Cox: T: Hoping to get contributions from the manufacturing world for
sched and coord manufacturings ops across plants.
William Cox: T: Suggestions or connections - communicate on the email list.
William Cox: T: Probably have a comprehensive set, including from other TCs.
William Cox: B: Other TC info?
William Cox: M: Set up a liaison, pass through a liaison person.
William Cox: T: Talk to the lists.
William Cox: Carl: I think many people might have notions of what might be
in a use case, but often struggle with laying out in an acceptable manner. A
template?
William Cox: T: Can point to N (when contributed).
William Cox: ACTION BILL post SGIP Use Case Template - link to the list.
William Cox: T: ACTION T send a link to that.
William Cox: Gale: I've seen everything from a few sentences to 160 pages.
Find a lot to look at examples at www.smartgrid.epri.com - might be a place
to look for format.

William Cox: DT: Already have the necessary versions of the icalendar and
xCalendar. Submitted to IETF (v1.1, November 2009). Info nec to support some
additional things that Toby described.
William Cox: DT: IETF has updated iCalendar itself -- extend without opening
the base spec itself. Once you open a spec it can take years to go through
the process.
William Cox: DT: Will prably call it "xCal" going forward. Method to consume
iCalendar data, using the basic CIM for date/time/duration.
William Cox: DT: Other thing working on is an abstract API for calendaring
(human, e.. exchange, beehive, iCal, etc)
William Cox: DT: Started work on web services instantiation of that API for
the basic operations and what we think necessary for input to this
committee. Work is progressing on that; intent is first draft finished by
May.
William Cox: DT: Since T will be on as many of our calls as he can be, there
will be a lot of interactions, make sure we undestand the nec use cases, and
what WS_calendar gets from CalConnect and IETF can be consumed.
William Cox: DT: Major issue: avoid inconsistencies, don't fork the spec.
William Cox: T: do we understand a mech for regular contribution of drafts
from CalConnect to this TC?
William Cox: DT: We want to hammer out in TCXML and ratify on the OASIS
side. As soon as a draft is availble for public comment, can go to OASIS.
Also can supply work in progress to other stnards organizations. Question is
whether we want to surround with any formality on exact versioning.
William Cox: DT: A discussion we should have.
William Cox: T: Issue at the beginning - what does the solution look like,
rather than the structure of each field. Start with understanding of the
common use cases.
William Cox: T: Becoming clear that there'sll be a recursive use of
WS-Calendar - what does that mean?
William Cox: T: Then consuming the semantic work from ongoing xCal efforts.
William Cox: T: Answer your qeustions? Carl: Yes. Not a big tangent, but
much of what OASIS TCs dsicuss is intellectural property. The feeder groups
-- how does that get presented to the TC and treated as non-assert?
William Cox: T: Mechanics: If someone signs up for the comment list, on the
"i'm subscribing" there's a agreement than anything submitted is under the
IP rules of the commitete. Waiting for NAESB to contribute, subscribe and
submit.
William Cox: T: I'm a principal author, I know what's in it, but they have
to submit.
William Cox: M: An org doesn't nec own the work, its those who contributed
to the work. If there are two or three or ten companies listed as
contributors, ask that each contributes on the part of their company. If
someone contributes on behalf of those people, they are asserting that the
companies are willing to contribute that under OASIS' IPR mode.
William Cox: M: Should make sure the lawyers have their ducks in a row.
William Cox: Carl: Understood.
William Cox: T: Thanks, good questions.

* Timeline for spec
William Cox: B; Draft spec in April.
William Cox: T: Yes, draft rather than "all finished."
William Cox: Carl: Any reason to be agressive?
William Cox: T: Identified by NIST as a critical dependency for the smart
grid - everything requires coord of time.
William Cox: ACTION POST LINKS TO PAP04 and WS-Calendar webinar.

7. Future meeting schedule, host

William Cox: T: MEeting schedule.
William Cox: Gershon - time that works well for you?
William Cox: Gershon - if 2 hours earlier, fine. Noon Eastern time.
William Cox: T: Noon Friday. Tuesday also OK.
William Cox: Preference - Friday at noon.
William Cox: T: Is that a deal killer for anyone on the call?
William Cox: Gerhson: Alex - same timezone as me.
William Cox: Motion: Noon US Eastern Time on Friday. Motion Bill, Second
Jeremy. No objections.
William Cox: T: Frequency?
William Cox: T: Started doing in other TCs. Weekly to get going, make sure
the process works and we understand what we're doing, and social pressure to
submit initial documents. THen process of being in a meeting got in the way
- alternating weeks, and reserved the time for a "working" or "workshop"
meeting  - no votes, no roll, work (and fed into the TC).
William Cox: T: Allowed a time to dedicate time, meeting mechanics.
William Cox: Fridays for the next month, biweekly therafter.
William Cox: Gershon: duration?
William Cox: B: Suggest one hour.

William Cox: Gershon: a face to face meeting? Discuss down the road.
William Cox: T: Can look at it, unsure that we will need it.
William Cox: M: If many at a conference - can often find a room.

William Cox: T: Conference line? Anyone willing to host?
William Cox: Jeremy - I'll try to work iwth you, conf with MAYBE dialin
numbers in Europe.
William Cox: Gerhson - not speaking up, possible to host - I'll look into
it.
William Cox: ACTION JEREMY, GERSHON INVESTIGATE AND SEND TO TOBY

8. Adjourn

William Cox: T: Everyone came for a reason. I'll contribute some of mine to
the list over the weekend. Urge you to do the same in the next week.
William Cox: NEXT MEETING ONE WEEK FROM TODAY.
William Cox: B: Move to ADjourn. Many seconds. No opposition.