Subject: Naming the Association/Relation/...

In all creation myths, the proper naming of all things is the first and highest responsibility given to Man.

We have something that is an Interval in every way except it is not an Interval.

It’s use is to be parent to the Intervals in a Sequence: everything in the Sequence can inherit from the parent (PARENT is a defined iCalendar component relationship)

It’s use is to set the schedule point for the Sequence, the one moment that is of interest to the remote invoker

It’s use is to be the handle for a Sequence, creating a handle in for the outside invoking entity to reach into a Sequence that is already defined.

It can do this to two Sequences at once

It shares all fields with a Sequence.

At first it was that thing that has a relation to the Sequence, so  it was a RELATION

Then it was that thing that is associated with a Sequence, so it was an ASSOCIATION

Each of these names causes more confusion than enlightenment to the reader of the Specification.

What should we call it.  Suggestions taken until our regular Friday meeting.

tc

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it” -- Upton Sinclair.

Toby Considine
TC9, Inc

OASIS Technical Advisory Board
TC Chair: oBIX & WS-Calendar

TC Editor: EMIX, EnergyInterop

U.S. National Inst. of Standards and Tech. Smart Grid Architecture Committee

Email: Toby.Considine@gmail.com
Phone: (919)619-2104

http://www.tcnine.com/
blog: www.NewDaedalus.com