Subject: FW: [tc-xml-l] Proposal for tolerance

-----Original Message-----
From: tc-xml-l-bounces@lists.calconnect.org
[mailto:tc-xml-l-bounces@lists.calconnect.org] On Behalf Of Mike Douglass
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:19 AM
To: tc-xml-l@lists.calconnect.org
Subject: [tc-xml-l] Proposal for tolerance

A property that is....

The smart-grid work has need for a property or properties which indicate the
tolerance required of the starting, ending and duration times of components.

This seems to be of general use - especially in project management.

As usual with SG work the need is pressing so I'll make a number of
proposals - one of which I hope will become a draft RFC

As proposed we need to say one or more of the following about a component :

start-before
start-after
end-before
end-after
duration-long
duration- short
granularity - A Duration enumerating the smallest unit of time measured or
tracked

All are durations.

start-before provides a Duration enumerating how far before the requested
start time the requested service may commence.

The others provide equivalents.

There is a related need for a granularity property with different meaning
than above - this for availability has the meaning

Granularity, when used in Availability, limits when a service can be
scheduled. For example, a 15 minute granularity on a 9:00 dtStart, implies
that legal dtStarts are 9:99, 9:15, 9:30, 9:45,

This has immediate use in office hours applications.

Proposals:

1. First thought was a TOLERANCE property with start-before etc parameters.
However, there's no value. This seemed odd.
2. e.g TOLERANCE;TYPE=START-BEFORE:T10M - allowed multiple times - also
TOLERANCE;TYPE=GRANULARITY:T15M 3. Recurrence style:
TOLERANCE:start-before=T5M,start-after=T10M,...,granularity=T30M
4. A TOLERANCE component which takes new properties START-BEFORE,
START-AFTER,...,GRANULARITY

We also have a need to make the ical schema available to non-Oasis people in
the meantime - discussion

--

Mike Douglass                           douglm@rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer