Subject: RE: [ws-calendar] gluons, intervals and standards

(Should have replied to all, not just to Mike)

"It is the theory that decides what can be observed."   - Albert Einstein

Toby Considine
Chair, OASIS oBIX Technical Committee
U.S. National Inst. of Standards and Tech. Smart Grid Architecture Committee
Facilities Technology Office
University of North Carolina
Chapel Hill, NC

Email: Toby.Considine@ unc.edu
Phone: (919)962-9073
http://www.oasis-open.org
blog: www.NewDaedalus.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Considine, Toby (Campus Services IT)
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 9:28 PM
To: 'Mike Douglass'

In the as yet unseen WD20, I refine the discussion of Intervals based on out conversation the other morning

An Interval is a unit of time, and can be bound to service delivery. An Unscheduled Interval has no specified date and time. A Scheduled Interval has a specified start date and time. Intervals can legally contain all elements properties as defined in [RFC5545]. For convenience, the elements essential to coordinating service operations using Intervals are listed in Table 3-1.

An Interval is part of a Sequence. An entire Sequence can be scheduled by scheduling a single Interval in a Sequence. A single Sequence can be scheduled multiple times through repeated reference by different Gluons. For this reason, of the three primary temporal elements (dtStart, dtEnd, and Duration) in a Component, the Duration has primacy in Intervals. Within a Sequence, a maximum of a single Interval MAY have a dtStart or a dtEnd.

I think that an entirely reasonable application would create vtodos, or perhaps even vevents from each Interval as a Sequence is transacted. Another entirely reasonable Appliaction might just add information in place, or even re-name them with the same GUID. Such activities are interesting, but out of scope of the Spec.

Does that help?

tc