Subject: Fwd: [apps-discuss] Device Classification

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [apps-discuss] Device Classification
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 11:16:28 -0700
From: Bruce Nordman <bnordman@lbl.gov>
To: apps-discuss@ietf.org

Greetings all--

  I am new to the apps area, with my involvement in IETF to date
focused on energy management.
  I recently posted:
     https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-nordman-classification/
the goal of which is to define a very basic enumeration for
classifying IP devices for generic purposes.  In my case, it is
for a system that vacuums up energy data for all devices in a
building to have a basic sense of what type of device it is
(e.g. router, computer, printer, refrigerator, ...).
I do believe that many applications would also find this useful,
particularly as physical-world objects seek to understand what
other devices are in their vicinity, whether or not they want to
directly interact with them.
  I am not seeking to do anything more complex than the above.
This is not intended to replace detailed classification and characteristics
schemes that exist or will be developed for narrow sets of devices -- this
is only for the case of covering all devices and includes no characteristics.
  I would welcome collaborators on this.
  Thanks,

--Bruce

--