ws-dd message

Subject: FW: Invitation to serve as Session Co-Lead for Smart GridInteroperability Standards SDO Workshop

FYI, I have accepted an invitation to co-lead a session on device-related standards at an upcoming NIST Smart Grid interoperability standards SDO workshop, August 3-4 in Washington DC. I am awaiting more information from the workshop organizers regarding the format, agenda, and presenter expectations for the workshop, but expect that I will be able to make a presentation introducing WS-DD's work similar to what I did at the Connectivity Week conference. I will keep you posted on developments.

            -- Toby

Toby Nixon  |  Senior Standards Program Manager  |  Windows Device and Storage Technologies  |  Microsoft Corporation

toby.nixon@microsoft.com  |  www.microsoft.com | V: +1 425 706 2792  |  M: +1 206 790 6377  |  F: +1 425 708 4811

From: Boynton, Paul A. [mailto:paul.boynton@nist.gov] On Behalf Of Arnold, George W.
Sent: Monday, July 13, 2009 8:39 AM
To: Toby Nixon
Cc: Boynton, Paul A.

July 13, 2009

Dear Mr. Nixon,

I am writing to invite you to participate in launching the next step in the development and implementation of the interoperability standards roadmap for the U.S. Smart Grid.  NIST will convene a workshop on August 3-4 in the Washington, D.C. area, to engage your standards development organization, other SDOs and interested members of the public in addressing standards-related priorities, efficiently and expeditiously.

The Smart Grid is a vital component of President Obama’s comprehensive energy plan, which aims to reduce U.S. dependence on foreign oil, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, create jobs, and help U.S. industry lead in the global race to develop and apply clean energy technology.  The President has set ambitious goals, necessitating quick action and sustained progress in implementing the components and systems that will make up the Smart Grid.

Among the goals for this workshop are to:

·         Discuss individual SDO and stakeholder perspectives on the evolving roadmap for Smart Grid interoperability standards;

·         Agree on individual and collaborative responsibilities of SDOs to address and resolve standards issues and gaps; and

·         Develop plans and set timelines for meeting these responsibilities.

Under the Energy Independence and Security Act (EISA) of 2007, NIST has “primary responsibility to coordinate development of a framework that includes protocols and model standards for information management to achieve interoperability of smart grid devices and systems…” [EISA Title XIII, Section 1305]

NIST has recently posted the Report to NIST on the Smart Grid Interoperability Standards Roadmap for public comment until July 30.  This report, prepared by the Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) under contract to NIST, can be found on the NIST Smart Grid Interoperability Standards Project ( http://nist.gov/smartgrid/).  A recorded webcast that describes the Report can be found at http://intelligrid.epri.com. (Click on: Briefing on the EPRI report to NIST on Smart Grid Interoperability Standards Roadmap for the NIST DEWGs.)

On the basis of its review of this Report, and other information, NIST has identified high-priority areas that it is proposing for immediate, focused action by SDOs, individually or collaboratively, and by various stakeholder groups.  These high-priority areas are listed in the accompanying table.

Please examine the informational materials described above, and evaluate how your organization can contribute to building the standards infrastructure for the Smart Grid.  We invite you or a designated member of your organization to participate in the two-day workshop as a co-leader for the breakout session entitled Standard DR Signals. We feel that your expertise and perspective on standards will contribute to the success of this session.  For planning purposes and for determining plenary speakers and session leaders, please let us know by July 22, 2009 whether you or someone you designate can serve in this leadership role.

Once final arrangements for the workshop venue are completed, we will advise you of the location.  Please note that due to meeting space limitations, workshop registration will be open to SDOs and the general public on a “first come, first served” basis.  We hope that other members of your organization (including key technical leaders) will be able to attend the workshop and contribute to discussions of actions to address key recommendations.  Registration and workshop details will be posted to the NIST Smart Grid Interoperability Standards Project website (http://nist.gov/smartgrid/).

Thank you for your organization’s engagement in the NIST Smart Grid effort. We look forward to your substantive participation in this next critical step in development of the interoperability standards roadmap.

Sincerely

George Arnold

National Coordinator for Smart Grid Interoperability

100 Bureau Drive, MS 2000

Gaithersburg, MD 20899

NIST Top Priority Standards Action Items

Develop and standardize an information model for pricing information (6.1.1)

Develop or adopt standard DR signals (6.2.1)  ; DR/ES/G/PEV Planning Meeting (6.2.1) - energy interop/OpenADR

Develop or adopt application-based synchronization guideline (6.1.2, 6.2.2)

Common Scheduling Mechanism:  Communicate with Smart Grid stakeholders on scheduling standard; if existing specifications may be used, then create a scheduling standard; if new standards are needed, identify a SDO to create a new Smart Grid scheduling model
( 6.1.3.2)

Develop profiles for use of the Internet Protocol suite for Smart Grid applications
 (6.1.4 Application of Internet-Based Networking Technology)

Guidelines for wireless communications for the smart grid
 (6.1.5 Communications Interference in Unlicensed Radio Spectrums)

Map IEC 61850 objects to DNP3 for legacy interfaces (6.2.2)

Develop storage device electrical interconnection guidelines  (6.2.3)

Develop and standardize common object models for electric transportation (6.2.4)

Develop a meter upgradeability standard (6.2.5)

Design one or more standard meter profiles using ANSI C12.19  Exchange Data Language (6.2.5)

Translate ANSI C12.19  into common semantic model (6.2.5)

Accelerate the work of developing the Common Information Model (CIM) for Distribution Grid Management including CIM and Multispeak harmonization (6.2.6, 11.6.1) should include 61850

Cyber Security Strategy  - complete the tasks identified in Interim Roadmap section 3.3.2 (6.2.7)

Provide energy usage information to Customer EMS (11.1.1)

Integrate relay settings and other field component management functions (11.2.1)

Identify information needs and map to transmission and distribution power system models (11.2.1)

Harmonize IEC 61850 and IEEE C 37.118