Subject: Re: [ws-rx] NEW ISSUE: anonymous AcksTo

Lei,

Per WS-Addr, except in the case of WSDL req-res MEP when used with the
HTTP-binding, anonymous reply-to means that there is some out-of-band
mechanism to deliver the message. In case of WSDL req-res and
HTTP-binding, anon reply-to means the http-response message.

In you example, it is a one-way MEP, so the anon URI does not mean that
it is the HTTP-response message back-channel. In fact for one-way MEP
over HTTP, at least when using SOAP 1.1 with WS-I Basic Profile 1.x (and
there isn't a standard SOAP 1.2 one-way MEP, yet) the service must not
send a SOAP response as the HTTP entity-body in the HTTP response
message. Therefore, for the one-way MEP case, with or without
intermediaries, the anon ackTo implies that there is some out-of-band
mechanism established for the acks or the acks are sent in response to
the request-for-ack synchronous (req-res MEP message). So why would the
intermediaries have to keep the connection open? Furthermore, it is
difficult to talk about intermediaries (at least in my mind) when
talking about the WSDL description (and the MEPs described therein) as
WSDL does not deal with intermediaries at all. The description is from
the point of view of the service.

But I think it is certainly worthwhile to discuss what 'out-of-band'
means, if anything, for anon acksTo in the case of one-way MEP and HTTP
binding (and other bindings). This could very well result in an interop
problem.

I hope I got the scenario right. If not, apologies.

BTW, I did not understand what you meant by:
"... Thus, the introduction of an anonymous AcksTo is now a
backwards-incompatible change. ..."
Can you pl. elaborate? Backwards-incompatible change to what?

Thx!

-Anish