Subject: text version of minutes with line breaks

Date: Thursday, 21 July 2005

Voting Member
webMethods, Inc.*

Meeting was quorate.
Voting Members: 46 of 64 (71%)

2 Review and approval of the agenda

Agenda:
1) Roll Call

2) Review and approval of the agenda

3) Approval of the Jul 14th meeting minutes
http://www.oasis-
open.org/committees/download.php/13652/MinutesWSRX07
1405-b.htm

4) Administrvia and Announcements
- WS-RX Editors Sub Committee is now active
- New voting members
- Queue Management on conf-calls
- Any other administrative issues

5) TC Ballots
- Results of ballots closed in last week
a> Charter clarification proposal (1 of 2:
Bunting)
http://www.oasis-
open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-rx/ballot.php?id=803

b>Charter clarification proposal (1 of 2:
Bunting)
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-
rx/ballot.php?id=804

- Redmond F2F Attendance ballot open

6) AI Review
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-
rx/members/action_items.php

7) New issues since last conf-call
See Marcs email on this topic

8) Issue Discussion: Assign owner and discuss
resolution
i011 Typo in expires POS
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-
rx/download.php/13697/ReliableMessagingIssues.xml#i0
11

i006 Source based delivery QoS policy assertion
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-
rx/download.php/13598/ReliableMessagingIssues.xml#i0
06
Please see Tom's posting on 7/14 for use cases
and motivations:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ws-
rx/200507/msg00108.html

i008 Policy assertions granularity
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-
rx/download.php/13598/ReliableMessagingIssues.xml#i0
08

i009 Declaration of QoS policies
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-
rx/download.php/13598/ReliableMessagingIssues.xml#i0
09

9) Any other business

Chris F: we discussed reordering the issues for
discussion.

Sanyaj: that should be ok.

3 Approval of the Jul 14th meeting minutes
http://www.oasis-
open.org/committees/download.php/13652/MinutesWSRX071405-
b.htm

Tom Incorporated changes posted to the list.

Tom Rutt moved, Pete Wenzel seconded to approve the
7/14 minutes.

? No Opposition Minutes approved.
4 Administria and Announcements
- WS-RX Editors Sub Committee is now active
- New voting members
- Queue Management on conf-calls
IRC channels are the best way to do this.

The chair will post the irc channel information for
future calls

- Any other administrative issues

5 TC Ballots
- Results of ballots closed in last week
5.1 Charter clarification proposal (1 of 2: Bunting)
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-
rx/ballot.php?id=803

79%, 2 no. This ballot succeeded.
5.2 Charter clarification proposal (2 of 2: Mischkinsy))
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-
rx/ballot.php?id=804

38% no votes, ballot fails.
5.3 Redmond F2F Attendance ballot open

Sanjay asked members to post their answers to this ballot
soon.

Paul C: if people who will not attend would register that
using the ballot , it will help. I need to know soon if
there will be more than 50 people.
6 AI Review

#0002: OASIS Staff should fix typographical error in
charter of missing space between “produces” and “to” the
next time the charter is updated.
Owner: James Bryce Clark
Assigned: 2005-07-06
Due: 2005-07-08

#0007: Sanjay to set up editing team Subcommittee or
mailing list
Owner: Sanjay Patil
Assigned: 2005-07-08
Due: 2005-07-14

#0011: Chairs should start a KAVI ballot asking members
if they will attend the Face to Face meeting, either in
person or by teleconference
Owner: Paul Fremantle
Assigned: 2005-07-17
Due: ---

#0012: Chair took an action item to get a ruling from
Jamie on CVS repository usage.
Owner: Paul Fremantle
Assigned: 2005-07-17
Due: ---

#0013: Chairs will propose a mechanism to manage the
Queue on the conference calls.
Owner: Sanjay Patil
solution
Assigned: 2005-07-17
Due: ---

7 New issues since last conf-call
 From Marcs email on this topic
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-
rx/email/archives/200507/msg00193.html

proposed
-01
Is an implementation
supporting a smaller max
message number valid?
core - design -
unassigned

Description
The existing specification includes the
clause "If the message number exceeds
the internal limitations of an RM Source
or RM Destination ...". This allows a
source or destination to handle
unexpected failures gracefully. It does
not clearly allow, require, or prevent
the implementation to be designed or
deployed with a message number limit.
Should we support such a limitation?
Related to i013.
Justification
Issue below presupposes a "yes" answer
to this question. Should decide this
larger question before deciding how to
fill gap left if the answer is "yes".
Origin
Doug Bunting
Proposal 12005-07-14
I lean toward "no" but could be
convinced otherwise. If "no" is the
answer, the specification could change
to make it clear a WS-RM compliant
implementation _must_ support the full
unsigned long range for the message
number. That likely requires conformance
terminology not presently in the
specification; this issue is not
intended to broach the even-more-general
subject of conformance clauses. My
proposal therefore comes down to "close,
no action".
proposed
-02
Sequence termination on Fault
core - design -
unassigned

Description
The RM Destination imperatively
terminates a sequence due to one of
these unrecoverable errors:
- wsrm:SequenceTerminated
- wsrm:MessageNumberRollover
- wsrm:LastMessageNumberExceeded

The semantics of sequence termination
due to a fault occurrence are not
clearly specified.
This uses the reworded issue
Justification
Unless an accurate and final
acknowledgement status was sent back at
the time the sequence is closed, the
Source will not know if some non-
acknowledged messages were actually
received before the termination occurs.
This gives the source two unpleasant
message in a new sequence, with the risk
of causing undetectable duplicates, (b)
not resend any, and these will be lost.
Origin
Jacques Durand
Proposal 12005-07-15
Two options need be discussed: Option
(1): At the time a Destination-
controlled termination gets into effect,
a final and accurate Acknowledgement for
the entire sequence is sent back. Option
(2): After the fault was notified to
Source, simply rely on regular
termination procedure (either
expiration-based, or under Source
control, so that the Source can complete
its resending of pending messages and
get the final acks), meanwhile reject
any message for this sequence that
exceeds the ending number in case of
MessageNumberRollover or
LastMessageNumberExceeded.
The first proposed issue was accepted.
The second proposed issue was accepted.
Sanjay: Jacques suggested a new status for issues.
 > Action: Marc G should review Jacques suggestion for
new issue status, and report to TC by next week call.

8 Issue Discussion: Assign owner and discuss resolution
8.1 i011 Typo in expires POS
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-
rx/download.php/13697/ReliableMessagingIssues.xml#i011

Doug Davis volunteered to take ownership of Issue.

Jeff M moved to accept proposed solution to i011,
Chris F seconded.

? No objections to Doug’s proposed resolution to I011,
status changed to editor pending.

8.2 i008 Policy assertions granularity
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-
rx/download.php/13598/ReliableMessagingIssues.xml#i008

Owner Tom Rutt

Tom Rutt: Requirement to have flexibility to attaché
policy to the level of operation.

Chris F: the WS-rm policy assertions are currently
attached to port type, binding, or port. The spec
disallows attaching to port type. Currently attaché only
to service:port, or binding.

Ashok: what if policies attachéd at port and binding
disagree is there a conflict resolution.

Paul F: in EJB you can attach policy at method level.
However, this adds complexity.

Anish: I think there is a dependency on issue 9. If
issue 9 states we want to reflect qos assertion in policy,
I can see some wanting to attaché those policies at a
finer level than port type.

Chris F: this issue deals with the policies which have
already been defined.

Sanjay: Is there a requirement with today’s policies

Tom: I think this depends on whether we have the Delivery
assurances as Policy assertions.

Sanjay: I propose we defer further discussion on i008
until after discussing i009.
8.3 i009 Declaration of QoS policies
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-
rx/download.php/13598/ReliableMessagingIssues.xml#i009

Chris F: Senders want the ability to know which level of
DA Qos may be expected of a destination endpoint.

Chris F; we can define policy assertion indicating what
observed DA qos is at an endpoint. Currently there is no
way to denote that a policy is observed, in WS-Policy.
If we carried it as a parameter of the rm assertion
itself we could resolve this.

Umit: are you suggesting an added attribute.

Chris F: the wsrm assertion carries child elements for
exponential backoff etc. Those are the parameters. We
could add one or two parameters to convey the Delivery
assurance.

Joe: Would you put multiple policies in wsdl file and
attach to different ports.

Chris F: You could have multiple ports.

Jacques: Knowing which policy is enabled on endpoint is
not just a matter of source to choose to use endpoint.
If at least once is supported, the source must hold
messages until acked. If not supported they do not want
to waste time doing retransmission. There is a
requirement for the source to be aware of which delivery
assurance is in used.

Sanjay: First we should focus on whether this requirement
is agreed, before focusing on solutions.

Steve W: Is Jacques stating that the source knowing what
DA the destination will apply to the client will change
its behaviour.

Jacques; the sender must retransmit only if guaranteed
delivery is required.

Paul C: People seem to be implying that if there was a
policy statement, that the port supports it. What are
people suggesting the policy means. Is this a guarantee
for a port that it will always apply. I thought this was
between the two aspects of destination. I am not ready
to decide on this until I have a better understanding of
the requirement. I want to know what the impacts are on
the source of knowing this information.

Gil: On chris’s proposal on putting in the policy
assertion. With respect to Paul’s comment, the only
delivery assurance for which the source must change its
behaviour is the at most once. Different delvery
assurances have different run time impact. The source
might not want to “pay” for ordered delivery if it is not
required.

Anish: At most once, alters the behavior of the sender.

Chris F: To clarify Paul C question, we are defining an
assertion that a DA is observed at the receiving endpoint.
The protocol is an at least once protocol on the wire.
 From the sending endpoint it might not send if it runs
out of space, but that does not affect what goes on the
wire. This policy assurance is targetd between RM-
Destination and Application Destination.

Paul C: is it a guarantee.

Chris F: yes.

Paul C: you are asserting there is no impact.

Tom Rutt : at most once is the special case.

Chris F: I do not agree that this impacts the sender
behaviour.

Tom Rutt; We need to better understand the semantics of
at most once.

Doug Davis: At most once affects the client, because it
must process the ack.

Jacques: we need to clarify some things here. The ws-
policy assertions currently deal with resend policy. The
text implies that these policies apply to inbound and
outbound messages from an endpoint. This might impact
behavour of source to receive these outbound messages.

Chris F: I did not mean to apply the assertions we have
to not affect the source. The delivery assertion does not
affect what goes on wire.

Sanjay: what does it mean for a destination to apply a DA,
and does it affect the source and destination.

Tom R: we need to understand the obligations of source
and destination associated with each of the delivery
assurances. This will aid our discussion. My
contribution on Delivery Assertion Substitutability
proposes an initial set of obligations.

Sanjay: We need to determine if the concern is whether
the Source needs to know the DA offered by the
destination, only to determine if it is good enough for
its requirements. If the DA does not impact the required
behaviour of source then it simplifies the problem.

Chris F: We are not quite there in understanding this
issue. A specific proposal with use cases will help. I
would be glad to take that on.

Jeff M: has the TC agreed yet on requirements.

Sanjay: The TC has no clear agreed requirement yet.

Tom: I would ask Chris F to explain his understanding of
At Most once, which would require the sender to
retransmit. Once I understand this, I can revise my
contribution.

Tom: I would like to defer issue discussion on issue 8
before issue 9.

Sanjay: I assign this issue ownership to Chris F.

Jacques: can we adopt a practice that each email title be
prefixed with issue number.

Sanjay: put issue number on subject line.

Steve W: follow Marc G guidelines on how to do this in
his email.

Jeff M: there is a question about the meaning of at most
once. Perhaps a new issue should be raised on that.

Tom R: I agree I will add this as a new issue. What is
meaning of at most once.

Umit: I suggest we take every delivery assurance to write
a use case where the source needs to be aware of the DA
in use.

Sanjip: I believe Chris’s proposal should address that.
8.4 i006 Source based delivery QoS policy assertion
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-
rx/download.php/13598/ReliableMessagingIssues.xml#i006
Please see Tom's posting on 7/14 for use cases and
motivations:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ws-
rx/200507/msg00108.html

Tom Rutt posted a contribution on Substitutability of DA
levels, which is relevant to this discussion, at:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-
rx/download.php/13705/DASubstitution.htm

Defer this to future meeting.
9 Any other business

None

Sanjip: I encourage the TC before F2F each member should
submit all their issues on the spec.

Meeting adjourned at normal closing time.