Subject: RE: [ws-rx] Issue i005

Hi Doug,

As I mentioned, the actual wording can be left to the editors as long as the semantics have been agreed upon.  The proposal was sent simply as a starting point for discussion.  My interpretation of the spec as it stands is that a nack can be ignored.  The proposal was to add words to state that messages should be retransmitted in response to a Nack, but given that nacks are intended only for performance optimization, I don't think that this behavior should be required.  I do think, however, that we should encourage 'better' implementations that follow recommended optimization practices unless a specific implementation instance has sufficient reason not to.

Cheers,
Steve

From: Doug Davis [mailto:dug@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Thursday, Aug 25, 2005 12:59 PM
To: Winkler, Steve
Cc: Marc Goodner; ws-rx@lists.oasis-open.org

The wording seems a bit backwards to me.  I think that retransmission upon receipt
of a NACK is required except when the message as been previously ACKd.  The text
as stated implies that a NACK can be ignored even when its has not been ACKd.
(Why do I feel like Bill The Cat :-)

I'd prefer something more like:

An RM Source MAY choose to not retransmit the message corresponding to
<Nack> element in cases where it previously received an acknowledgement for
that message.

Although, I also see no reason to not go one more step and say that the RMS
should always ignore the NACK in those cases too.  But this isn't a bad compromise.

thanks,
-Doug

"Winkler, Steve" <steve.winkler@sap.com>

08/25/2005 02:16 PM

"Marc Goodner" <mgoodner@microsoft.com>, <ws-rx@lists.oasis-open.org>
RE: [ws-rx] Issue i005

Hi Marc,

The more compact wording is fine with me with the exception that you've
changed the SHOULD to a MAY.  I personally like the stronger wording,
but understand that it is an optional performance enhancement.  I think
the semantic difference between SHOULD and MAY should be decided by the
TC.

I also think that we may need to investigate the ability to advertise
the ability for destinations to trigger retransmissions with Nacks as a
policy.  I'll look into this a little more and possibly raise a separate
issue to address this.

Cheers,
Steve