Subject: RE: [ws-rx] i0019 - a formal proposal - take 2

When InOrder DA is used the RMS knows that all messages after the first gap were not delivered to the RMD's application - even if they were ACKed.  So, getting an ACK+Final guarantees to the RMS which messages were not just ACKed but delivered - and any messages after the first gap can be recovered (e.g. resent in a new sequence if it wants) without fear of them being processed twice by the RMD's app.
Actually, thinking about it more, perhaps some of the text should remain, like:

  When a Sequence is closed and there are messages at the RM Destination
 that are waiting for lower-numbered messages to arrive (such as the
 case when InOrder delivery is being enforced) before they can be
 processed by the RM Destination's application, the RM Destination
 MUST NOT deliver those messages.
Just  to ensure that the RMD does not interpret the Close() as the trigger to let all messages after the gap thru to the app.
thanks,
-Doug

"Giovanni Boschi" <gboschi@sonicsoftware.com>

08/25/2005 08:48 PM

Doug Davis/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS, "Jacques Durand" <JDurand@us.fujitsu.com>
cc
<ws-rx@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject
RE: [ws-rx] i0019 - a formal proposal - take 2

If the RMD has already acked the out-of-order messages (and the spec at this point doesn’t say it can’t or shouldn’t), and we then preclude the RMD from delivering them, then the final Ack is not accurate, which I thought was the original goal.  Even if we leave it undefined, the RMD may choose not to deliver them, and the problem remains.

G.

Jacques Durand <JDurand@us.fujitsu.com> wrote on 08/25/2005 02:10:04 PM:

>  When a Sequence is closed and there are messages at the RM Destination
>  that are waiting for lower-numbered messages to arrive (such as the
>  case when InOrder delivery is being enforced) before they can be
>  processed by the RM Destination's application, the RM Destination
>  MUST NOT deliver those messages and a SequenceClosed fault MUST
>  be generated for each one.
> <JD> it is important to also say that it should not acknowledge them either.

If we change it so that it says nothing about those messages instead,

as Anish and Chris are suggesting, would that be ok with you?

So, basically, the semantics of undelivered messages would be undefined by

removing the above paragraph.

thanks,