Subject: RE: [ws-rx] NEW ISSUE - No indication of how to process NACKs in normal case

Title: Message

Hi Doug,

I went back and forth on that one myself for a little while. I prefer MUST too, but there appeared to be some push back on this during the initial discussion so I stuck with SHOULD.  Your rationale makes sense to me though and I would be fine (even happy) to use MUST.  Let's see what the group thinks on the call on Thursday.

Cheers,
Steve
-----Original Message-----
From: Doug Davis [mailto:dug@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 6:37 AM
To: ws-rx@lists.oasis-open.org

Steve,
  +1 - although I'd prefer it to be a MUST to be consistent with the text for AckRequested - but since its really up to the RMS to determine when to do it anyway its not a huge thing.
thanks
-Doug

"Winkler, Steve" <steve.winkler@sap.com>

09/06/2005 02:54 PM

<ws-rx@lists.oasis-open.org>
[ws-rx] NEW ISSUE - No indication of how to process NACKs in normal case

All,

Here's a description of the new issue I wanted to raise from the discussion of the related issue i005 [1].

Title: Processing model of NACKs

Description: Although it is assumed that a NACK will trigger retransmission of a given message from the source to the destination there is no wording in the current version of the spec that describes this feature adequately.

Justification: This will clarify to implementers the spriit of the spec by spelling out in more concrete terms what is currently only implied.

Target: Core

Type: Design

Proposal:

Add the following to the spec directly before the text that is incorporated as a resolution to i005:

Upon the receipt of a Nack, an RM Source SHOULD retransmit the message identified by the Nack as soon as possible.

Cheers,
Steve

[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ws-rx/200508/msg00272.html

Steve Winkler