Subject: RE: [ws-rx] i019/i028 - final proposal

Hi!

I agree with your proposal, but have a couple of editorial nits:

You say, “After line 396, add a new section ….”  I believe you mean line 596.

You say “The following exemplar defines the CloseSequence syntax:”  Exemplars don’t define.  How about “The following defines the CloseSequence syntax:”  ?

(Just making the editors’ job easier….)

Regards,

--Becky

From: Doug Davis [mailto:dug@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2005 2:02 PM
To: ws-rx@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [ws-rx] i019/i028 - final proposal

Based on Jacques comments I've modified the text to avoid using terms that are not defined in the glossary.  I'm concerned that there are too many version of this proposal out there.  All of the suggestions people have made have been great and I do really think they've helped mold this into a better proposal.  However, when comparing this version with the original one I think the basic idea is still the same.  And for the purposes of the TC voting on this, while a totally complete proposal certainly helps, I don't think it needs to be bullet-proof in order for people to vote one way or the other.  Leaving some of the minor textual changes for the editors allows them to do something too  :-)
So, barring some major change request from someone I'd like this to be the version we vote on.
thanks
-Doug

ps just got Jacques' note about possibly updating the term 'received' in the glossary but I'd prefer to leave that for the editors as well.  With 2 hrs left before the call I need to send something :-)

- - - - - - - -

Using the pdf file at http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-rx/download.php/13493/WS-ReliableMessaging-v1.0-wd-01.pdf
here's the proposal:

Change lines 340-347, the SeqAck syntax, to:
<wsrm:SequenceAcknowledgement ...>
 <wsrm:Identifier ...> xs:anyURI </wsrm:Identifier>
 [ [<wsrm:AcknowledgementRange ...
     Upper="xs:unsignedLong"
     Lower="xs:unsignedLong"/> +
    <wsrm:Final/> ? ]
 | <wsrm:Nack> xs:unsignedLong </wsrm:Nack> + ]
</wsrm:SequenceAcknowledgement>

After line 378, add to the description of the SeqAck elements:
 /wsrm:SequenceAcknowledgement/wsrm:Final
 This optional element, if present, indicates that the RM
 Destination is not receiving new messages for the
 specified Sequence.  The RM Source can be assured that
 the ranges of messages acknowledged by this
 SequenceAcknowledgement header block will not change in the
 future.  This element MUST be present when the Sequence
 is no longer receiving new message for the specified sequence.
 Note: this element MUST NOT be used when sending a Nack, it
 can only be used when sending AcknowledgementRanges.

On lines 569 and 570 change:
 After an RM Source receives the <SequenceAcknowledgement>
 acknowledging the complete range of messages in a Sequence, it
 sends a ...
 When the RM Source has completed its use of the Sequence, it
 sends a ...

To the end of that para, at the end of line 574, add:
 Note, under normal usage the RM source will complete its use of
 the sequence when all of the messages in the Sequence have been
 acknowledged.  However, the RM Source is free to Terminate
 or Close a Sequence at any time regardless of the acknowledgement
 state of the messages.

Change lines 581 and 582 from:
 This element is sent by an RM Source after it has received the
 final <SequenceAcknowledgement> covering the full range of a Sequence.
 This element is sent by an RM Source to indicate it has completed
 its use of the Sequence, i.e. it will not attempt to send any
 additional messages to the RM Destination referencing this sequence.

After line 396, add a new section about closing a Sequence:
 3.6 Closing A Sequence
 There may be times during the use of an RM Sequence that the RM
 Source or RM Destination will wish to discontinue using a Sequence
 even if some of the messages have not been successfully delivered
 to the RM Destination.

 In the case where the RM Source wishes to discontinue use of a
 sequence, while it can send a TerminateSequence to the RM Destination,
 since this is a one-way message and due to the possibility of late
 arriving (or lost) messages and Acknowledgements, this would leave
 the RM Source unsure of the final ranges of messages that were
 successfully delivered to the RM Destination.

 To alleviate this, the RM Source can send a <wsrm:CloseSequence> element,
 in the body of a message, to the RM Destination to indicate that
 RM Destination MUST NOT receive any new messages for the
 specified sequence, other than those already received at the time
 the <wsrm:CloseSequence> element is interpreted by the RMD.  Upon receipt
 of this message the RM Destination MUST send a SequenceAcknowledgement
 to the RM Source.  Note, this SequenceAcknowledgement MUST include the
 <wsrm:Final> element.

 While the RM Destination MUST NOT receive any new messages for the

  specified sequence it MUST still process RM protocol messages.
  For example, it MUST respond to AckRequested, TerminateSequence
  as well as CloseSequence messages.  Note, subsequent CloseSequence messages
  have no effect on the state of the sequence.

 In the case where the RM Destination wishes to discontinue use of a
 sequence it may 'close' the sequence itself.  Please see wsrm:Final
 above and the Sequence Closed fault below. Note the SequenceClosed
 Fault SHOULD be used in place of the SequenceTerminated Fault,
 whenever possible, to allow the RM Source to still receive
 Acknowledgements.

 The following exemplar defines the CloseSequence syntax:
   <wsrm:CloseSequence wsrm:Identifier="xs:anyURI"/>

 /wsrm:CloseSequence
 This element is sent by an RM Source to indicate that the RM
 Destination MUST NOT receive any new messages for this sequence.
 A SequenceClosed fault MUST be generated by the RM Destination

  when it receives a message for a sequence that is closed.

 /wsrm:CloseSequence@Identifier
 This required attribute contains an absolute URI conformant
 with RFC2396 that uniquely identifies the sequence.

 /wsrm:CloseSequence/{any}
 This is an extensibility mechanism to allow different (extensible)
 types of information, based on a schema, to be passed.

 /wsrm:CloseSequence@{any}
 This is an extensibility mechanism to allow additional attributes,
 based on schemas, to be added to the element.

 A <wsrm:CloseSequenceResponse> is sent in the body of a response message by
 an RM Destination in response to receipt of a <wsrm:CloseSequence> request
 message.  It indicates that the RM Destination has closed the
 sequence.

 The following exemplar defines the <wsrm:CloseSequenceResponse> syntax:

 /wsrm:CloseSequenceResponse
 The element is sent in the body of a response message by
 an RM Destination in response to receipt of a <wsrm:CloseSequence> request
 message.  It indicates that the RM Destination has closed the
 sequence.

 /wsrm:CloseSequenceResponse/{any}
 This is an extensibility mechanism to allow different (extensible)
 types of information, based on a schema, to be passed.

 /wsrm:CloseSequenceResponse@{any}
 This is an extensibility mechanism to allow additional attributes,
 based on schemas, to be added to the element.

On lines 735 and 746 make these faults non-terminating by removing:
 It is an unrecoverable error and terminates the Sequence.

After line 760, add a new fault:
 4.8 Sequence Closed
 This fault is sent by an RM Destination to indicate that the
 specified sequence has been closed. This fault MUST be generated

  when an RM Destination is asked to receive a message for a sequence
  that is closed.
 Properties:
 [Code] Sender
 [Subcode] wsrm:SequenceClosed
 [Reason] The sequence is closed and can not receive new messages.
 [Detail] <wsrm:Identifier...> xs:anyURI </wsrm:Identifier>

Add the proper XML to the schema and WSDL....