Subject: NEW ISSUE: What does 'anon' URI mean when used in AcksTo

As discussed on the call today, I'm raising an issue about the meaning
of 'anon' URI when used in AcksTo URI.

Title:

What does 'anon' URI mean when used in AcksTo EPR?

WS-Addressing Core [1], section 2.1 says the following about 'anon':

"Some endpoints cannot be located with a meaningful IRI; this URI is
used to allow such endpoints to send and receive messages. The precise
meaning of this URI is defined by the binding of Addressing to a
specific protocol."

WS-Addressing SOAP binding [2] defines what the 'anon' address means
when used with ReplyTo and FaultTo in SOAP and SOAP/HTTP binding. It
does not say anything about what it means when used in other headers
such as AcksTo.

Justification:

WSRM defines AcksTo element of type EndpointReferenceType and allows
'anon' URI for the address. But the meaning of such an anon address is
not defined anywhere.

Target:

core, soap

Type:

design

Proposal:

This can be resolved by:

a) Adding a stmt similar to WS-Addressing SOAP binding. Something like:

"When "http://www.w3.org/2005/08/addressing/anonymous"; is specified as
the address of the wsrm:AcksTo EPR, the underlying SOAP protocol binding
provides a channel to the specified endpoint. Any underlying protocol
binding supporting the SOAP request-response message exchange pattern
provides such a channel. For instance, the SOAP 1.2 HTTP binding[SOAP
1.2 Part 2: Adjuncts] puts the reply message in the HTTP response."

OR

b) we could ask the WS-Addressing WG to fix their SOAP binding to
include not just ReplyTo and FaultTo EPRs but any EPR when used in the
context of SOAP/HTTP binding.

I prefer that we do (b). If they refuse, we can do (a)

Related issues:
i012