Subject: RE: [ws-rx] New proposal for i019 and i1028

Stefan,

Thanks for the explanation. I have some more questions.

I am trying to evaluate the proposal with respect to the problem it is intending to solve. Is it fair to say that the intent of the Cancel proposal is to enable recovery without terminating (or more precisely needing to abort from RMS perspective) a sequence when there are problems? In this regard, can you clarify whether Filling the gaps is intended to be used specifically for recovery? For example, after a cancellation of a set of messages occur, the RMD notifies with the cancellation ack. If the RMS decides to fill the gap for those messages that have already been cancelled, it seems that RMS is allowed to resend those cancelled messages to fill the gaps and hence the allows those messages that were cancelled to be retransmitted. Did I get this right?

If my previous assumption is correct,  it is not clear to me what happens when CancelAck and SequenceFill are out of sync. Could you clarify?

Again, if my assumptions/understanding is correct, is it fair to say that you are trying not to close a sequence but patch the problem with additional exchanges?

It helps me understand better if I understand the higher level motivation for the design.

Thanks again,

--umit

From: Stefan Batres [mailto:stefanba@microsoft.com]
Sent: Tuesday, Sep 13, 2005 6:56 PM
To: Yalcinalp, Umit; ws-rx@lists.oasis-open.org

Umit,

Thanks for taking the time to review this new proposal. First off I’ll give the two proposals names in an effort to simplify the discussion. I’ll call Doug’s proposal the “Close/FinalAck” proposal and I’ll call this new proposal the “Cancel” proposal.

Close/FinalAck and Cancel are not functionally equivalent. Cancel allows for the same semantics as Close/FinalAck and provides a separate and more general mechanism for resolving doubt.

As you mention, the fundamental problem with the spec today is the lack of a mechanism for resolving doubt. In the Close/FinalAck proposal it is necessary to end a sequence in order to resolve doubt, even if there is only a single message that can’t be transmitted. While that is adequate to address i019 and i028 as they are worded, it conflates the acts of ending a sequence and resolving doubt. The Cancel proposal allows for doubt resolution independent of whether a sequence is ended or not. Cancel can be composed with the existing sequence termination mechanism to achieve the same result as Close/FinalAck; ending a sequence with a final and accurate ack set.

Also note that the Cancel proposal maintains the spec as is in that there is one way to close a sequence and it remains unchanged.

Thanks,

--Stefan