Subject: Re: [ws-rx] Issue i024

Anish,
    I've always thought they were meant to be shared since it could influence
how the other side interacted with the RM endpoint.  For example, based on
the inactivity timeout advertized by an RMD, an RMS may choose to modify
its retry interval to make sure the sequence doesn't timeout.  The thing I've
wondered about is whether these should be static value (meaning they appear
on the WSDL and probably won't change), or are they more dynamic and might
change on each sequence (perhaps based on the RMS's identity).  If they are
more dynamic then perhaps they should be part of the CreateSequence handshake
just like some people have suggested the DA in use be part of the CreateSeqResponse.
  It might be useful to examine the complete set of interactions between an RMS and
an RMD - starting with the first MDEX Get through to the CreateSequenceResponse -
stating what bit of data we expect each message to carry and how that is supposed to
be used (can't remember off hand if one of Gil's use-cases fully describes this but I
have a vague recollection that one might come close).  I have a feeling that if we could
agree on the typical (or even 'suggested') interaction pattern we expect people to
follow that coming up with a solution will be easy and will probably cover all of these
issues (and include Chris' issue 9 too).  But I haven't done the legwork yet to know
for sure - just guessing here.
thanks
-Doug

Anish Karmarkar <Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com>

09/15/2005 02:27 AM

Doug Davis/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
cc
ashok.malhotra@oracle.com, ws-rx@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject
Re: [ws-rx] Issue i024

Doug,

I think issues 6 and 9 make issue 24 more relevant/important and I can
see at least a solution that covers all three. It certainly makes sense
to think about them together and perhaps even find a single/common solution.

One question though I have about the existing RM policy assertions is:
are they (inactivity timeout, base retransmission interval, ack
interval) meant to be shared between RMS and RMD or are they meant as
configuration information for implementations? By shared, I mean shared
by both the RMS and RMD (and not just attached in a WSDL document).

Thanks.

-Anish