Subject: RE: i029 Session hijacking addressed by STR in CSR

Marc,

Thanks for providing this information. The attack you outlined is pretty
much the same as the one I outlined in
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-rx/email/archives/200508
/msg00206.html.

There is a simpler way of protecting against this threat. As you stated
"if anyone obtains the sequence ID" they can execute this attack. There
are only two ways that an attacker can obtain someone else's sequence
ID; they can guess it or they can observe it. To protect against the
first possibility the RMD simply needs to create sequence IDs that
contain enough random information as to making guessing impractical. To
protect against the second possibility the RMS and RMD simply need to
use some underlying security mechanism that provides end-to-end message
confidentiality. This could be a WS-SecureConversation context, an
SSL/TLS session, or some other mechanism.

If people agree that the above proposal protects against the threat that
you have outlined, than I think people would also agree that the above
proposal is superior to the currently specified mechanism for the
following reasons:

1.) Although this allows WS-RM and WSS to be composed it does not bind
them together.
2.) It does not require the run-time cost of performing an authorization
check on every message.

In reality the threat we are discussing is no different than the threat
faced by web applications that use session cookies to preserve state.
Common practice is to generate random cookie values and protect these
cookies with SSL. Nobody had to tightly bind HTTP and SSL to prevent web
session hijacking.

If there are additional threats that the current mechanism defends
against, I welcome the chance to discuss those as well.

- g

BEAWorld 2005: coming to a city near you.  Everything you need for SOA and enterprise infrastructure success.

Register now at http://www.bea.com/4beaworld

Santa Clara 27-29 Sep| London 11-12 Oct| Paris13-14 Oct| Prague18-19 Oct |Tokyo 25-26 Oct| Beijing 7-8 Dec