Subject: RE: [ws-rx] NEW ISSUE: Which version of WS-Addressing spec?

I think that you have to be very careful about this.

The sole purpose of this spec is interoperable reliable messaging.

The markitectural half-truth of “composable specs” cannot be alchemically converted into a whole truth to be relied upon for the purposes of interoperability.

Any given set of versions of the composable specs may be truly composable (to ensure this at some basic level is why WS-I exists), but this cannot be assumed.

In the case of any one spec, it is the job of the spec to create an island of composability by narrowing its references to specific version(s). If this is not done then the resulting spec is open to implementation variation which could be (almost certainly will be) lethal to interoperation. If there are multiple versions specified then implementations can state the matrix of interop that they will support. If there are no specified versions then the statement “implements the interoperable protocol” becomes close to meaningless (will only be true by sheer luck).

Alastair

Alastair J. Green

CEO and CTO

Choreology Ltd