Subject: Re: [ws-rx] Re: [ws-rx-editors] possible bug in draft spec 'wsrm-1.1-spec-wd-05'(fwd)

Robin Cover wrote:
> Anish said:
>

>>Comments?
>

> I have no stake in how the TC's decision falls out with respect to
> one of these two (namespace URIs):
>
> http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsrm/200510/
> http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsrm/200510
>
> However, I am interested in current expert opinion about this design
> point, in the abstract.

> published as
> 'http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-rx/download.php/14785/wsrm-1.1-spec-wd-05.pdf'
> because as the text stands, concatenation of the Namespace URI
> with "/" and "element name" yields malformed things like:
>
> http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsrm/200510//SequenceAcknowledgement
>
> Doug suggested removal of the trailing slash "/" from the
> namespace, while Anish suggested the alternative, viz.,
> changing the language about what's concatenated with the
> namespace URI.
>
> One argument for retaining the namespace with "/" would be
> that this makes it easy to construct URIs from QNames, viz.,
> concatenate the namespace name with the localname.

I'm no expert in this, but I know of two ways that people do QNames->URI
mapping:
1) {namespace URI}localname invented by James Clark [1]
2) concatenation of NS URI with local name (as you mention above) used
by RDF [2].

This was also a W3C TAG issue, not sure how it got resolved. But I
*think* it got resolved by the TAG saying that a spec that uses QName
refs should define the QName->URI mapping. AFAIK, the TAG did not
specify any mapping.

 From a QName->URI perspective, if there isn't a trailing '/' in the NS,
concatenating the NS name with localname still yields a valid URI. For
example, "http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsrm/200510SequenceAcknowledgement";
is a valid URI. The problem occurs in the URI->QName round-tripping.

My .02

-Anish
--

[1] http://www.jclark.com/xml/xmlns.htm