Subject: RE: [ws-rx] Proposed list of issues for discussion on 10/13 conf-call

Hi Chris,

I wanted to give a good try to the policy related issues on this week's call and  that is why the other issues in my proposed list are purely editorial.

I had privately requested the owners of the policy related issues to submit proposals before this week's conf-call and thankfully they have responded with some proposals (may not be entirely formal) and there seems to be some discussion on the list. As we all know, the policy relaed issues are not very straightforward and personally I can understand the issue owner's sentiment and willingness to take some advice on resolution from the TC as opposed to bringing in a fully baked formal proposal for vote.

Let us give these issues a good try tomorrow and if there is still no significant outcome we may have to postopone these isssues for the next F2F, etc.

Having said that, if  the TC at large (including the owners of the policy issues) finds it prudent to postpone the policy related issues, we could certainly decide to do so on the call tomorrow as the first order of business (agenda approval). Meanwhile it will be great to see concrete proposals for other open issues and be prepared with some good subsitutes for the policy related issues.

Thanks,
Sanjay

From: Christopher B Ferris [mailto:chrisfer@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, Oct 12, 2005 8:44 AM
To: ws-rx@lists.oasis-open.org

Sanjay/Paul,

I'm a little concerned that some of the policy-related issues on the plate this week will result in
much lively discussion, but relatively little in the way of consensus and resolution.

I would propose that we add some of the RM-spec related issues for which there are
concrete proposals, and which IMO could be easily and quickly resolved on the call. I would
prefer that we focus on issues that we can resolve rather than spend time on the call
to hash over issues that are clearly not yet approaching consensus on the email list.

i038 [1] looks like it could be easily resolved. I could go either way to be honest (reference
RFC3986 or RFC3987 (IRI)). Since WS-Addressing has referenced RFC3987 and RM leverages
the EPR for AcksTo, that we go with the reference to RFC3987 and be done with it.

i042 [2] is another that we should be able to close on quickly. I will send a separate proposal
to the list.

i023 [3] is an issue that IMO is out of scope for the TC. I will send a separate proposal to the list

Finally, I would like to make a request of the issues list editor. It would REALLY help if the issues
list could be updated to reflect the issues resolved as soon as possible after they are resolved.
It has been over 2 weeks since the issues list was last updated. Thus, two weeks of issues
resolutions are not reflected in the list.

I know what is involved in maintaining the list and that the editors are busy with other responsibilities
(aren't we all!), but possibly the addition of an intermediate status that removes an issue from "open"
to a status that means that it has been resolved but the specifics have not been documented in the issues
list would be in order for times like these when there isn't enough time to devote to making a full pass
at updating issues with the details of their resolutions, etc. It is quite difficult to have to compare the
issues list with the minutes from the past meetings to determine which issues are really open and
which have simply not been updated to reflect the decisions of the TC.

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-rx/download.php/14682/Re#i038
[2] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-rx/download.php/14682/Re#i042
[3] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-rx/download.php/14682/Re#i023

blog: http://webpages.charter.net/chrisfer/blog.html