Subject: Re: [ws-rx] [i021]: a proposal

Jacques Durand wrote:

> >you can attache message subject level at message Binding , just as
> you can >attach bound port for endpoint subject level
>
> Tom: not clear how to do that - although you can technically attach a
> WS policy to any element of an XML doc, WS-RM Policy does not address
> finer granularity than wsdl:binding elements. All this needs be clarified.
>
> Jacques

section 4.1.4 of ws policy attachment
"
4.1.4 Message Policy Subject
The following WSDL/1.1 elements are used to describe messages:
• wsdl:message
• wsdl:portType/wsdl:operation/wsdl:input
• wsdl:portType/wsdl:operation/wsdl:output
• wsdl:portType/wsdl:operation/wsdl:fault
• wsdl:binding/wsdl:operation/wsdl:input
• wsdl:binding/wsdl:operation/wsdl:output
• wsdl:binding/wsdl:operation/wsdl:fault

These elements MAY have Element Policy as per Section 3 of this
specification. The Policy Scope implied by these elements contains the
Message Policy Subject representing the specific input, output, or fault
message in relation to the Operation Policy Subject. Policy attached to
a Message Policy Subject pertains to behaviours associated with a
particular message. This includes – but is not limited to – sending and
receiving the message. The Effective Policy for a specific WSDL message
(i.e., input, output, or fault message) is calculated in relation to a
specific port, and includes the Element Policy of the wsdl:message
element that defines the message's type merged with the Element Policy
of the wsdl:binding and wsdl:portType message definitions that describe
that message.

For example, the Effective Policy of a specific input message for a
specific port would be the merge of the wsdl:message element defining
the message type, the wsdl:portType/wsdl:operation/wsdl:input element,
and the corresponding wsdl:binding/wsdl:operation/wsdl:input element for
that message.

Since a wsdl:message may be used by more than one wsdl:portType, it is
RECOMMENDED that only policies containing abstract (i.e., binding
independent) assertions should be attached to this type of element.

Since wsdl:input, wsdl:output, and wsdl:fault elements in a
wsdl:portType/wsdl:operation may be used by more than one binding, it is
RECOMMENDED that only policies containing abstract (i.e., binding
independent) assertions should be attached to these types of elements.
Care should be taken when attaching policies to outbound messages as the
result may not be what is expected. For example, expressing a choice on
a service's outbound message without a mechanism for a requester of that
service to communicate its choice to the service before the outbound
message is sent may not result in the desired behaviours.

It is therefore RECOMMENDED that Policy Alternatives on outbound
messages SHOULD be avoided without the use of some form of mutual Policy
exchange between the parties involved.
"

I am talking about attaching policy at the levels