Subject: Prelim minutes of 10/20 teleconf

The proposed minutes are attached.

Please read the text on action item 40 and 10 to ensure I captured the
intent of your
points.

Send any corrections to the entire list before monday morning.

Tom Rutt

Title: Preliminary Minutes WSRX TC Teleconf

Preliminary Minutes  WSRX TC Teleconf

 October 20, 2005 –

Tom Rutt agreed to take the minutes.

1         Roll Call

From Kavi,

Member

Company

Member Type

Alexander Leyfer

Actional Corporation*

Voting Member

Dr. Charlton Barreto

Adobe Systems*

Voting Member

Mr. Lei Jin

BEA Systems, Inc.*

Voting Member

Dave Orchard

BEA Systems, Inc.*

Voting Member

Gilbert Pilz

BEA Systems, Inc.*

Voting Member

Mr Ian Jones

BTplc*

Voting Member

Andreas Bjarlestam

Ericsson*

Voting Member

Mr Hamid Ben Malek

Fujitsu Limited*

Voting Member

Mr Jacques Durand

Fujitsu Limited*

Voting Member

Mr Kazunori Iwasa

Fujitsu Limited*

Voting Member

Mr Robert Freund

Hitachi, Ltd.*

Voting Member

Mr. Eisaku Nishiyama

Hitachi, Ltd.*

Voting Member

Mr Nobuyuki Yamamoto

Hitachi, Ltd.*

Voting Member

Mr. Doug Davis

IBM*

Voting Member

Mr Christopher Ferris

IBM*

Voting Member

Mr. Matt Lovett

IBM*

Voting Member

Mr. Daniel Millwood

IBM*

Voting Member

Mr Peter Niblett

IBM*

Voting Member

Ms. Rebecca Bergersen

IONA Technologies*

Voting Member

Mr. Stefan Batres

Microsoft Corporation*

Voting Member

Mr. Paul Cotton

Microsoft Corporation*

Voting Member

Ms. Colleen Evans

Microsoft Corporation*

Voting Member

Mr Marc Goodner

Microsoft Corporation*

Voting Member

Mr. Jonathan Marsh

Microsoft Corporation*

Voting Member

Mr. Jorgen Thelin

Microsoft Corporation*

Voting Member

Asir Vedamuthu

Microsoft Corporation*

Voting Member

Mr. Chouthri Palanisamy

NEC Corporation*

Voting Member

Dr Abbie Barbir

Nortel Networks Limited*

Voting Member

Mr Paul Knight

Nortel Networks Limited*

Voting Member

Mr Lloyd Burch

Novell*

Voting Member

Mr. Steve Carter

Novell*

Voting Member

Mr Sumit Gupta

Oracle Corporation*

Voting Member

Dr. Anish Karmarkar

Oracle Corporation*

Voting Member

Mr Ashok Malhotra

Oracle Corporation*

Voting Member

jeff mischkinsky

Oracle Corporation*

Voting Member

Mr Eric Rajkovic

Oracle Corporation*

Voting Member

Mr. Claus von Riegen

SAP AG*

Voting Member

Dr Umit Yalcinalp

SAP AG*

Voting Member

Pete Wenzel

SeeBeyond

Voting Member

Glen Daniels

Sonic Software Corp.*

Voting Member

Doug Bunting

Sun Microsystems*

Voting Member

Mr. Mike Grogan

Sun Microsystems*

Voting Member

Mr Ram Jeyaraman

Sun Microsystems*

Voting Member

Mr Sanjay Patil

SAP AG*

TC Chair

Mr. Paul Fremantle

WSO2*

TC Chair

Mr Tom Rutt

Fujitsu Limited*

Secretary

Dr Mark Little

Arjuna Technologies Limited*

Member

Mr Nilo Mitra

Ericsson*

Member

Mr Dave Chappell

Sonic Software Corp.*

Member

Vikas Deolaliker

Sonoa Systems, Inc.*

Member

 Meeting is  Quorate

2         Review and approve of Agenda

1) Roll Call

2) Review and approval of the agenda

3) Approval of the Oct 13, 2005 meeting minutes

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-rx/download.php/14939/MinutesWSRX-101305.htm

4) Administrative Issues

Open ballots

Email issues

5) AI Review

6) New issues since last conf-call

7) Discussion around AI40 (aka i024)

8) Issue Discussion:

a> Issue 10: Sequence port spanning

b> Issue 22: RM Policy Assertion Model's Base Retransmission Interval Clarification Needed

c> Issue 23: Robust recovery from low-resource conditions

d> Issue 50: spec talks about delivery assurances but does not clearly relate them to the protocol

e> Issue 2: AckTo EPR and seq lifetime

9) Any other business

Anish: I gave email about the DA usage in the core spec.  Where should this be defined.

Paul: Agenda item 7 a) is for 40 which was for 24.

Anish: I may need help in pointing out the email I sent.

Chris F: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-rx/email/archives/200510/msg00181.html

Tom: it is relevant to the new issue 50.

3         Approval of Oct 13 meeting minutes

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-rx/download.php/14939/MinutesWSRX-101305.htm

Tom R moved, Chris F seconded to approve the Minutes of Oct 13 meeting.

§    No objection, Minutes of Oct 13 meeting Approved.

4         Administrative Issues

4.1      Open ballots

Sunnyvale attendance ballot:  All members should record their attendance on this ballot by end of mont.

CD ballots issued and are due next Thursday.

4.2      Email issues

Umit has recognized a problem, which OASIS staff is dealing with.

5         AI Review

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-rx/members/action_items.php

12 – remains open

31 – remains open

34 – remains open

40  Ashok – provided text, however it is not agree, leave open.

41 – open

49 –completed

6         New Issues since last con call

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-rx/email/archives/200510/msg00170.html

Proposed-01

Title: Should DA be separate assertion or parameter

Proposed-02

Title: Which occurances within the specs, if any, of the term "URI" need to be replaced with "IRI"?

Proposed-03

Title: Target of RM Assertion parameters are confusing with respect to how they are specified and attached

Proposed-04

Title: Whose Inactivity Timeout is it anyway?

Proposed-05

Title: How can RMS communicate the Base Retransmission Interval, Exponential Backoff and Inactivity Timeout values?

Proposed-06

Title: Classification of References (normative vs. non-normative) is needed

6.1      Proposed-01

Title: Should DA be separate assertion or parameter

        <wsrm:DeliveryAssertion mode="[AtLeastOnce|AtMostOnce|ExactlyOnce]" ordered="[xs:boolean]"? ...="" >

The question that was not resolved as part of that discussion is whether the element should be a child

of <wsrm:RMAssrtion> or whether it should be a separate assertion.

Justification: We need to make a decision

Target: WS-RM Policy Assertion

Type: technical

Proposal: TBD

Related: i009 [2]

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-rx/members/action_item.php?action_item_id=1043

[2] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-rx/download.php/14682/Relia#i009

Accepted as new issue with Umit as owner.

6.2      Proposed-02

Title: Which occurances within the specs, if any, of the term "URI" need to be replaced with "IRI"?

URI to determine whether it needed to be replaced with "IRI" and thus require the addition of a

reference to RFC3987.

Justification: Ensure correct use of the terminology within the spec wherever a URI could be an IRI.

Target: WS-Reliable Messaging, WS-RM Policy Assertion

Type: technical/editorial

Proposal: TBD

Related: i038

Accepted as new issue with Umit to own

6.3      Proposed-03

Title: Target of RM Assertion parameters are confusing with respect to how they are specified and attached

Currently the WS-RM Policy Assertion describes four distinctive parameters in Section 2.1 [1]: Base Retransmission Interval, Exponential Backoff, Inactivity Timeout and Acknowledgement Interval. Further, these parameters are scoped with respect to two distinct roles as summarized below:

RMS:

-- Base Retransmission Interval (BRI)

-- Exponential Backoff (EB)

-- Inactivity Timeout (IT)

RMD:

-- Inactivity Timeout (IT)

-- Acknowledgement Interval (AI)

Clearly there is a separation between which roles these assertions would apply in the specification.  However, the definition of the RM assertion includes ALL of the parameters regardless of the role.  This causes a problem in interpreting what is being intended in Section 2.3 [1] which describes attachment of the policy.

>From the perspective of WSDL, the service is always described from the perspective of the provider and lists the requirements of the provider. Hence the WS-Policy attachment of RM Assertion will appear to apply to RMD alone. If we were to take this assumption into consideration, semantics of supplying all the 4 parameters in a RM Assertion is not very clear.

There are two possible interpretations:

(1) Although, there are two separate roles of RMS and RMD, it is the RMD who owns the WSDL and dictates all these parameters. This means the BRI, EB although are defined for RMS, are not really defined by RMS. RMS in essence has no control over these parameters.  Note that this interpretation appears to contradict the Lines 112-113 and 117-119.

(2) All the parameters appearing in a WSDL for RMD are applicable for the RMD only. However each parameter is scoped to request and/or response. For example, the BRI, EB and IT will apply when the RMD acts in a sender role (for a response message), and only the IT and AI apply in the RMD's receiver role (for a request message). RMS is free to use its own parameters. Note that this interpretation appears to conflict with the example provided in Section 2.3, lines  225-227 where RMS is mentioned, but it is not stated that the RMD will be in the role of sender when these parameters apply.

It is not clear which of the above interpretations is correct. Further, different sections of the specification are in conflict with each other regardless of the interpretation assumed as illustrated above.

Justification:

It should be clear in the specification where the assertion parameters apply and how. Currently, there are two distinct and possible interpretations leading to confusion. Further, not making the clarification affects resolution of issues that pertain to attachment of policy in general since it is not obvious how the RM Assertion parameters apply with respect to the roles that are acknowledged in the specification.

Target: policy

Type: design

Proposal:

Clarify and explicitly state in the specification that each role manages its own parameters. Update the example to include in the WSDL only the parameters that are applicable to RMD: IT and AI. In addition, clarify whether the parameters that apply to RMS may be used within the content of RM Assertions and when.

Detailed proposal: TBD.

Related Issues: i021, i006