Subject: RE: [ws-rx] NEW ISSUE: Remove LastMessage

+1

I thought about proposing this too. The new Close operation subsumes almost completely the LastMessage marker  - the

added value is not worth the added protocol complexity.

-Jacques

From: Doug Davis [mailto:dug@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 7:30 AM
To: ws-rx@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [ws-rx] NEW ISSUE: Remove LastMessage

Title:Remove LastMessage

The LastMessage element, as part of a Sequence header element, appears superfluous. It seems to serve 2 purposes:
1 - force a SeqAck to be sent back from the RMD
2 - force the RMD to reject any messages with a higher message #

#1 can be done with an AckReq header.  We should avoid having multiple ways to do the same thing.
#2 is really only an issue if someone tries to hijack the sequence - and to protect against that we should be using a real security mechanism like WS-SC/Trust, not the LastMessage element.

When an RMS is done with a sequence it is free to simply Close or Terminate it (whether or not it has all of the Acks it wants - but normally it will wait) - having an additional message exchange to send a LastMessage is unnecessary.

Justification: See above.

Target: core

Proposal:  Remove all references to LastMessage (and related Fault)  from the spec [1].  See attached diff/pdf file for the specific changes.

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-rx/download.php/15001/wsrm-1.1-spec-wd-05.pdf

Note the protocol flow/example picture was updated too.