Subject: Proposal for i056

Title: Proposal for i056

Issue 56:

We are making this proposal to address i056 [1] by building on our previous proposals to resolve issues i022[2], i054[3], i055[4].

By exclusion of BTI and EB in the specification, the RMS does not have to communicate with RMD for setting up the retransmission. However, there is one thing that is of interest to the RMS which is its own Inactivity Timeout. This IT may be specified to the RMD within the boundaries of RMD's InactivityTimeout configuration on a per sequence basis.

We think that the proposal we made for closing issue i055 [1] can be used by RMS to communicate a specific IT for the sequence. The next question is how RMS can specify the value of IT on a per sequence basis.

There are two ways to look at this problem.

(1) The communication of this parameter value is out of scope and part of protocol preconditions which are glossed over in Line 230 and 231 of the WS-RM specification. This means that either this configuration is done at some point in deployment, or there is unspecified protocol between RMS and RMD that determines the exchange of parameters prior to creating a sequence.

(2) Since this exchange is establishing the RMSs choice of IT on the RMD side, it can be transmitted as part of the CreateSequence message with the RMD. We note that this is a per sequence basis and this optimization is of great value to RMS, instead of leaving it out of scope.

SAP favors option (2) as there is a indeed cheap solution to support the use case without changing the protocol with an optional simple extension.

The proposal below does not change proprietory deployment decisions and assumptions. It does not add additional message exchanges to the protocol either. It is an optimization that can be used within the protocol.

Add the following section to the  wsrmp specification (which may be subject to further editorial modification)

{Section XX: Optimization for specifying parameters within WS-RM Protocol

When RMS needs to specify the InactivityTimeout value for a sequence, the selection of the inactivity timeout may be part of the create sequence protocol as specified in Section 3.4 of [WS-RM]. RMS MAY include the wsrmp:InactivityTimeout element as a child of wsrm:CreateSequence element to designate the Inactivity Timeout value. When specified as such, the maxValue and minValue attributes MUST not be present.

<wsrm:CreateSequence ...>
<wsrm:AcksTo ...> wsa:EndpointReferenceType </wsrm:AcksTo>
<wsrm:Expires ...> xs:duration </wsrm:Expires> ?

<wsrmp:InactivityTimeout>600000</wsrmp:InactivityTimeout>
</wsrm:CreateSequence>

This specific optimization may be rejected by the RMD and the RMD MUST use the CreateSequenceResponse Fault as the response to the Create Sequence request. In this case, the RMD MAY include the specified InactivityTimeout element as part of the [Detail] to indicate that the inactivity timeout value specified by RMS is not valid.

}

We think that this is a very cheap solution which specifies an optimization extension and RMD that do not support this extension may reject the sequence with the specified methods that are already within the protocol.

Note that there is a small issue with respect to the CreateSequenceResponse Fault [5] that has been posted earlier that can be easily fixed to enable addition of [Detail] content.

This optimization does NOT require changes to the existing protocol, but uses existing extensibility mechanisms to allow  RMS to configure the InactivityTimeout value.

Cheers,

--umit

[1] http://docs.oasis-open.org/ws-rx/issues/ReliableMessagingIssues.xml#i056
[2] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-rx/email/archives/200511/msg00021.html