Subject: RE: [ws-rx] NEW ISSUE: Remove LastMessage

One note on proposing issues, if you need to attach a file to an issue proposal it may just be better to wait until the issue is formally accepted then post it against the issue number. My concern is that pointers back to the proposal may get lost in the shuffle of collecting issue proposals before meetings. I only just noticed this one had a proposal in an attachment now. Had I not noticed I might not have gone back to the list to get the url to this message to add to the proposed issues mail I’m working on now. Note that this also introduces awkwardness in phrasing used, i.e. “see the attached file” which won’t be in the final list. Yes I could go back and find the reference and grab a url and update the final accepted issue. However this starts to become tedious rather quickly.

Please don’t attach proposals as files, particularly in proposed issues.

From: Doug Davis [mailto:dug@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 7:30 AM
To: ws-rx@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [ws-rx] NEW ISSUE: Remove LastMessage

Title:Remove LastMessage

The LastMessage element, as part of a Sequence header element, appears superfluous. It seems to serve 2 purposes:
1 - force a SeqAck to be sent back from the RMD
2 - force the RMD to reject any messages with a higher message #

#1 can be done with an AckReq header.  We should avoid having multiple ways to do the same thing.
#2 is really only an issue if someone tries to hijack the sequence - and to protect against that we should be using a real security mechanism like WS-SC/Trust, not the LastMessage element.

When an RMS is done with a sequence it is free to simply Close or Terminate it (whether or not it has all of the Acks it wants - but normally it will wait) - having an additional message exchange to send a LastMessage is unnecessary.

Justification: See above.

Target: core

Proposal:  Remove all references to LastMessage (and related Fault)  from the spec [1].  See attached diff/pdf file for the specific changes.

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-rx/download.php/15001/wsrm-1.1-spec-wd-05.pdf

Note the protocol flow/example picture was updated too.