Subject: Re: [ws-rx] Gil's proposal for i021

Marc Goodner wrote:
> Just expanding on the subject level, from section 4.1.2 on Endpoint
> Policy Subject in WS-PolicyAttachment [1]:
>

> “An Endpoint Policy Subject applies to behaviours associated with an
> entire endpoint of
>
> the service, irrespective of any message exchange made.”

Not a policy expert, but my interpretation is that I don't think that
precludes us from defining assertions that apply to only in messages or
out-message. WS-PolicyAttachment framework defines a framework, but the
assertion definer defines the semantics of the assertion. I.e., it
should be ok to say that my BAZ assertion means that only in-bound
messages are reliable -- and that applies to the entire endpoint
(irrespective of the message exchanges or operations).

Having said that. I don't think Gil's proposal goes far enough. Yes, it
works quite well for the most common case (one-way, request-response).
But when we go to WSDL 2.0, this looks rather short-sighted. It seems to
me that the policy assertion subject should be 'message' -- which
provides the granularity that provides the most flexibility. After all
we are talking about reliable messaging.

My $.02

-Anish