Subject: RE: [ws-rx] Gil's proposal for i021

Umit,

Both message- and operation-level subject requires that the RMS have
knowledge of the WSDL, for starters, and that it parse each message to match
it to the WSDL message/operation to determine whether, or not, to apply RM.

While some future, sooper-dooper all-knowing, all-singing-and-dancing
policy engine of the future might be capable of this, I am no longer
of the opinion that we need to be overly concerned about this level of
granularity at present.

I would much prefer that we get the simple semantic of on/off at the
endpoint level addressed, as that is far more likely to be consistent
with implementations that deploy over the next two years or so and will
likely satisfy a significant majority of use cases.

It troubles me deeply that we are expending so much of the TC's energies
around this and related issues. Not only that, but it seems to me that
as soon as we hit a policy-related issue, we go round and round in circles and
rarely come to any consensus agreement on closure. Why am I not surprised?

Let me turn the question around (again) and ask the members of the TC, how many
of the implementations people are working on (and one would hope
that there are implementations in development as we speak :-) are prepared to
be able to address message- and/or operation-level policy in the application of
RM?

blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/dw_blog.jspa?blog=440
phone: +1 508 377 9295