Subject: RE: [ws-rx] i021 proposal (updated)

I'm sorry, I might be able to agree to this proposal but I need more
time to review this, particularly as you seem to suggest yourself that
there are changes you want to apply to this proposal. There was a lot of
discussion on this issue this week and I expect there will be more on
today's call.

I simply can't digest that much information to make a call one way or
the other yet. I think this is an important issue and would prefer that
we take the proper amount of time to close it properly. If forced I'm
afraid I would have to vote against adopting anything on this today
rather than making the wrong call or accepting something that is
incomplete.

All of that said; I'm not opposed to what I'm seeing here. I just need
more time to review it.

Marc Goodner
Technical Diplomat
Microsoft Corporation
Tel: (425) 703-1903
Blog: http://spaces.msn.com/mrgoodner/

-----Original Message-----
From: Patil, Sanjay [mailto:sanjay.patil@sap.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 7:01 PM
To: Marc Goodner; Paul Fremantle
Cc: wsrx

I am fine with Paul's suggested way of addressing my concerns. I think
this proposal should be on the table as a candidate for resolving i021
on tomorrow's call. I am taking the liberty (due to time zone difference
with PaulF) to update the proposal as per his response just to
facilitate easier deliberation by the TC members ...

I would also propose to -- a> define rules for handling the case where
RM policy assertions are attached to multiple subjects in the same WSDL,
and b> clarify (or even remove) the last paragraph related to how EPR
contained RM assertions interact with WSDL attached RM assertions. I
wouldn't ask for another round of proposal for resolving these aspects,
and would rather let our able team of editors apply the necessary
changes (assuming the TC blesses the proposal and agrees on the
updates!) ...

-- Sanjay

Based on CDII

Delete 142-154 section 2.3 and replace with.

2.3 Assertion Attachment

The RM assertion can have Service, Endpoint, Operation or Message
Endpoint Policy Subjects [WS-PolicyAttachment].

WS-PolicyAttachment [WS-PolicyAttachment] defines both abstract and
concrete attachment points in WSDL [WSDL1.1]. Because the RM policy
assertion specifies a concrete behaviour, it MUST NOT be attached to
abstract constructs:

    * wsdl:portType
    * wsdl:portType/wsdl:operation
    * wsdl:portType/wsdl:operation/wsdl:input
      * wsdl:portType/wsdl:operation/wsdl:output
      * wsdl:portType/wsdl:operation/wsdl:fault
    * wsdl:message

The RM policy assertion MAY be attached to the following constructs
* wsdl:service
* wsdl:port
* wsdl:binding.
* wsdl:binding/wsdl:operation
* wsdl:binding/wsdl:operation/wsdl:input
* wsdl:binding/wsdl:operation/wsdl:output
* wsdl:binding/wsdl:operation/wsdl:fault

If the RM assertion is attached to the wsdl:service construct, it MUST
be considered to apply to all the wsdl:port's referenced in the binding.
If the RM assertion is attached to the wsdl:port construct, it MUST be
considered to apply to all the wsdl:binding's referenced in the port.
If the RM assertion is attached to the wsdl:binding construct, it MUST
be considered to apply to all the wsdl:operation's referenced in the
binding.
If the RM assertion is attached to the wsdl:operation construct, it MUST

be considered to apply to all the wsdl:input's, wsdl:output's and
wsdl:fault's referenced in the operation.

Attaching the RM assertion to a specific wsdl:input, wsdl:output, or
wsdl:fault construct indicates that the RM protocol MUST be used when
sending that message (or MAY if the assertion is marked optional).
Attaching the RM assertion to a specific wsdl:operation construct
indicates that the RM protocol MUST be used for all messages (whether
input, output or fault) related to the operation(or MAY if the assertion

is marked optional).
Attaching the RM assertion to a specific wsdl:binding  construct
indicates that the RM protocol MUST be used for all messages (whether
input, output or fault) related to the binding (or MAY if the assertion
is marked optional).
Attaching the RM assertion to a specific wsdl:port construct indicates
that the RM protocol MUST be used for all messages (whether input,
output or fault) related to the port (or MAY if the assertion is marked
optional).
Attaching the RM assertion to a specific wsdl:service construct
indicates that the RM protocol MUST be used for all messages (whether
input, output or fault) related to the service (or MAY if the assertion
is marked optional).

WS-Addressing allows for policy assertions to be included within an
EndpointReference. Per section 2.2 above, the presence of this
policy assertion in an EPR specifies the level of support for
WS-ReliableMessaging offered by that endpoint.