Subject: Re: [ws-rx] i021 Proposal

In general I quite like this proposal. Two comments about 'parameters'
below.

-Anish
--

Patil, Sanjay wrote:

> [...]
>
> I would also like to bring to your notice that this proposal:
> -- Avoids text that would repeat the semantics already addressed in
> WS-PolicyAttachment, for example, an Endpoint Policy Subject applies to
> behaviors associated with all the message exchanges of the endpoint, and
> applies to aspects of both communicating with as well as instantiating
> the endpoint. So the proposal would seem a bit short and dry to some people!
>
> -- Does not include any recommendations for which wsdl elements (among
> those that are allowed by the proposal - wsdl:port Vs. wsdl:binding
> Vs.binding level messages) are more appropriate for policy attachment,
> since this may simply be a matter of best practices and there are no
> strong technical reasons for the specification to promote one approach
> over another, IMO.
>
> -- Does not include any text related to whether and how EPR contained
> policies may interact with the WSDL attached policies, since I couldn't
> arrive at any precise and useful (normative) text in this regard.
>
> Please try to send in your comments before the conf-call tomorrow (2/23)!
> -- Sanjay
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Replace the entire content of section 2.3 (Assertion Attachment) in the
> WS-RM Policy specification with the following:
>
> The RM policy assertion is allowed to have the following Policy Subjects
> [WS-PolicyAttachment]:
>
>           o Endpoint Policy Subject
>           o Message Policy Subject
>
> WS-PolicyAttachment defines a set of WSDL/1.1 [WSDL 1.1] policy
> attachment points for each of the above Policy Subjects. Since an RM
> policy assertion specifies a concrete behavior, it MUST NOT be attached
> to the abstract WSDL policy attachment points.
>
> The following is the list of WSDL/1.1 elements whose scope contains the
> Policy Subjects allowed for an RM policy assertion but which MUST
> NOT have RM policy assertions attached:
>
>           o wsdl:message
>           o wsdl:portType/wsdl:operation/wsdl:input
>           o wsdl:portType/wsdl:operation/wsdl:output
>           o wsdl:portType/wsdl:operation/wsdl:fault
>           o wsdl:portType
>
> The following is the list of WSDL/1.1 elements whose scope contains the
> Policy Subjects allowed for an RM policy assertion and which MAY have RM
> policy assertions attached:
>
>           o wsdl:port
>           o wsdl:binding
>           o wsdl:binding/wsdl:operation/wsdl:input
>           o wsdl:binding/wsdl:operation/wsdl:output
>           o wsdl:binding/wsdl:operation/wsdl:fault
>
> If the RM policy assertion appears in a policy expression attached to a
> wsdl:binding as well as to the individual wsdl:binding level message
> definitions(wsdl:binding/wsdl:operation/wsdl:input,
> wsdl:binding/wsdl:operation/wsdl:output,
> wsdl:binding/wsdl:operation/wsdl:fault), the parameters in the former

Since we have gotten rid of all the parameters in WSRMP, what does the
above sentence mean? I suggest that we get rid the sentence.
Since there aren't any parameters, there is no conflict between RM
assertions being placed at various WSDL attachment points.

> If the RM policy assertion appears in a policy expression attached to a
> wsdl:port as well as to the other allowed WSDL/1.1 elements, the
> parameters in the former MUST be used and the latter ignored.

same as above.