Subject: RE: [ws-rx] AnonURI and Offer and WS-Addressing

The WSA spec is very clear what anon replyTo means - this is a contract that both the client and server need to follow.  This means that (for anon replyTo + HTTP)  the server MUST send it back on 'this http response' and that the client MUST look for it on 'this http response'.  Sending it back on some other http connection, or looking for it on some other http connection is not compliant with WSA's defintion of what anon ReplyTo means.  Composing RM into the picture can not change what WSA says - RM can cause the messages to be resent but for any individual message exchange the WSA rules must be adhered to.

I believe all of the options I listed are valid - spec wise.  You can dislike some of them but I believe that are all compliant with WSA.

Marc said: On point 3 I see that as being different only if you’ve only been looking at this from a point of view of 1 way messages exclusively. If you get an ack for a request you sent without the corresponding response you obviously still have the request available for retransmitting. I don’t see the difficulty. I don’t see how out only applies in this discussion though.

You 'obviously still have the request' only until the request is acked.  After that point the RM spec does not manadate anything - so replaying an ACked message, as I said, is something I believe is new to most people.  'Out only' applies because I'd like our RM to be used in more than the most simple of use-cases.

Marc said: On point 4 you seem to have an async response in mind. In a synchronous req/resp MEP the ack for the request message would be on the response message. The thing we’re discussing is what to do when that response message is lost and the ack is detected in a ack range on a subsequent response message to the client. It helps to think of this without complications. Imagine that the request comes in and the response (with the ack) is lost. The client hasn’t sent any other requests. What does it do? Why it resends the request. The service should be prepared for this as it never got an ack for the response either. Just extend that model and it is easy to see that when the client sees an ack on a response to another message that contains an ack for a request it never got a response from it can resend the request to get the unacknowledged response. What is the problem?

The problem is that the RMS MUST know about the MEP - something we haven't required up to now, and it links the request and response sequences - something, again, we haven't done.  Once we head down this path I don't see how we can't be required then to examine how the lifecycle of the two sequences might be linked.  Again, as I've said many times, no one has been able to explain how the full RM protocol works - for example, how a Close or Terminate can be sent from the RMD back to the RMS.   Or how RM can be used in one direction but not the other - e.g. non-RM-request/RM-response.  The longer we talk about this the more questions we get.

thanks,
-Doug

"Marc Goodner" <mgoodner@microsoft.com>

03/14/2006 12:50 PM

Doug Davis/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS, <ws-rx@lists.oasis-open.org>
RE: [ws-rx] AnonURI and Offer and WS-Addressing

I would point out that the definition of anonymous uri is:
“Some endpoints cannot be located with a meaningful IRI; this URI is used to allow such endpoints to send and receive messages. The precise meaning of this URI is defined by the binding of Addressing to a specific protocol and/or the context in which the EPR is used.”

The section you quote below is from section 5.1 Use of Anonymous Address in SOAP Response Endpoints. The SOAP 1.2 binding text you quote does not cover RM, rather it covers a vanilla SOAP 1.2 endpoint only. WS-A leaves us the flexibility to clarify any points on its use when RM is in use.

I’m still surprised to see suggestions to the effect that anon can not be used with RM followed by suggestions that amount to defining our own anon uri (essential anonymous uri redux). I think it makes far more sense to clarify any points on the use of anon when the RM protocol is being used rather than forbid its use as it seems the WS-A WG left us the latitude to do so. So I disagree with your points 1, 2 and 5 below.

[...]

Finally I’d like to point out that this and many other recent posts conflates i090 and i089 together. I don’t understand why so much emphasis is being placed on the use of anonymous with an Offered sequence to simultaneously justify removing Offer and prove that anonymous should be forbidden when using WS-RM because of perceived problems when used with Offer.

Marc Goodner
Technical Diplomat
Microsoft Corporation
Tel: (425) 703-1903