Subject: RE: [ws-rx] New Issue: security threats and requirements

Although I'm not attached to each and every word in sections 5.1 through 5.4 they contain some key concepts that I think should be in the spec. Foremost amongst these is the clarification of the separation between security and reliability information expressed in lines 64 - 71. I'd be willing to support any friendly ammendment that preserved this information.

- gp

From: Doug Davis [mailto:dug@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 2:25 PM
To: ws-rx@lists.oasis-open.org

Gil,
  Just a generic question on this doc...in most of the WS specs the security sections seem to focus on what you have in section 5.5.  The previous sections are all very useful and very informative in terms of explaining all of the bad things people can do - so I'm wondering if you really think all of it should go into the RM spec or just 5.5?  Would the other stuff be better in some other doc (like the dev guide Jacques is thinking of) or even some whitepaper?
thanks
-Doug

"Gilbert Pilz" <Gilbert.Pilz@bea.com>

05/09/2006 05:41 PM

<ws-rx@lists.oasis-open.org>
[ws-rx] New Issue: security threats and requirements

Chapter 5 of the WS-RM spec has a number of problems:
1.        It lacks information specific to WS-RM. What needs to be protected and why?
2.        It is overly general in parts; describing general security concepts that don't have anything specifically to do with WS-RM.
3.        It recommends specific solutions (WS-SecureConversation) in preference to other solutions (e.g. HTTPS).
4.        It lacks the detailed security requirements that are needed by implementers to build secure WS-RM implementations.
Proposal: Replace Chapter 5 with the attached material.[attachment "sec_analysis.pdf" deleted by Doug Davis/Raleigh/IBM]