Subject: WS-RX security

I've been reading through the four documents you posted...  very
interesting.

Section 5 seems pretty reasonable, but I think it's missing something.
What's the mechanism to tie the WS-RM elements to the message itself? In
other words, what prevents an adversary from intercepting messages two and
three, and exchanging the WS-RM headers and then sending them along as
three and two? (This is the same problem that WS-Security kerberos profile
had in early drafts, and what the SAML holder-of-key SubjectConfirmation
element does.)

You might want to think about restructuring the protocol of section 7 to
that it looks more like SSL.  One side provides an ordered list of
mechanisms, and the other side picks one of them:
        <wsrmsp:SecurityMechanisms ...>
                   <wsrmsp:Mechanism wsrmsp:type="xs:anyuri">
                        ... *
                    </wsrmsp:Mechanism> *
                 </wsrmsp:SecurityMechanisms>
If a mechanism is repeated multiple times, an xml:id attribute is used to
uniquely identify them.  Then the SecurityMechanismResponse can contain
either the URI of the type, or the ID of the element.

In section 6, I really dislike same_node and sep_node; it's really
shared_id and nonshared_id.  Also, I think you need a TLS/unauth profile.
If an RMS always uses SSL, point-to-point link over fiber, etc., when
talking to an RMD, then there doesn't seem to be any need for the RMS and
RMD to have any concept of identity at all. If both sides use IPsec, then
RMS and RMD can verify "yes, same entity as before" by just looking at the
IP addresses, for example.  (This would argue that it should just be
'transport' and not TLS/unauth.)  I'd have to think about it more, but it
seems that WS-SecureConversation could fit into this category, too.

Overall, tho, I wonder if this work is unique to WS-RM, or if it addresses
problems that other WS-xxx (will) have as well?

        /r$

--
SOA Appliances
Application Integration Middleware