Subject: RE: [ws-rx] proposal for i122, i123, and i124

The primary points I want to make with respect to this question are that

a) Our proposal here only enables security composition as the charter
for this TC requires. I do not view it as a profile.
b) WS-I does not do original work, they only profile existing specs. So
this proposal could not be done at WS-I.

-----Original Message-----
From: Doug.Bunting@Sun.COM [mailto:Doug.Bunting@Sun.COM]
Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2006 3:37 PM
To: Christopher B Ferris
Cc: ws-rx@lists.oasis-open.org

Chris and others,

The question I raised near the end of this call was: One of the concerns
raised with regard to Gil's i122 proposal was approximately "How does
this profile development effort relate to the work which might happen in
the new (and now publicly-known) Reliable Secure Profile WG[1] at WS-I?"
I'd like to ask the same question about this proposal.

MG: I can't speak to how the other proposal would fit there, this one I
believe is complementary. It provides a mechanism whereby a token can
explicitly be related to a RM session. Without that I think the WS-I RSP
WG might have trouble fulfilling their charter to secure RM sessions
using SC as they would not be able to define things like the assertion
or the header below.

Put another way, should this TC close this issue (i122) or those issues
(i122-124) with no action in light of work happening elsewhere?

MG: I don't think so. This proposal corrects what we saw as a problem
with the original proposal for 122 that authentication modes for HTTPS.
That was a good idea but needed to be done in general, not just for RM.
That is why I opened issue 75 in the SX TC to add authentication modes
to the WS-SP HttpsToken assertion. What remains in our new proposal here
speaks exclusively to RM and leaves security specific aspects, like
token details or transport authentication modes, to that domain and
composes with them which is what the charter asks us to do with respect
to security.

Going down another level, is this really an alternative to Gil's
i122-123 proposals or an additional profile which might be folded into
Gil's mix?  Though doing lots of profiles in this TC strikes me as a
time suck and a significant change in our priorities, I would like to
hear other perspectives.

MG: I think from the explanation above it should be clear that this is
an alternative and not an additional profile. I don't view this proposal
as a profile at all. I would see something like the WS-I RSP that choose
a security mechanism to use with this, specifically SC, as a profile.
This simply enables composition, it does not dictate the specifics.

thanx,
    doug

[1]
<http://www.ws-i.org/deliverables/workinggroup.aspx?wg=reliablesecure>